Electrical connection to gas oven/hob

Planning to have new Intergral Gas Oven with Gas Hob mounted in worksurface.

Assuming both will need an electrical supply (oven light and ignitors etc) can anyone advise on best method of connection.

My thoughts:- Fused spur above worksurface to one side of Hob (is there a max distance?) feeding both units. Cable from spur burried in plaster emerging behind Oven/Hob (what's the best way of connecting the units to this cable ?)

thanks Andy

Reply to
ac1951

Similar situation when I was redoing a kitchen. I installed a 6mm cooker circuit with cooker switch, even though cooking is currently all gas. That allows electric cooking to be easily installed at a later date. For now, the flex outlet plate is actually an unswitched 13A socket, into which the cooker is plugged to power the ignitor and oven lamp.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

thanks Andrew,

Exactly same situation (re 6mm cable) but I'm planning to have an integral oven so not sure how to handle the flex from a cosmetic point of view (don't want to have to drill an hole in the worksurface to get the flex from the Oven to a 13A socket)

Andy

Reply to
ac1951

Usual electric cooker arrangement is to have a cooker switch above the worktop, then a connection plate like this

the worktop for the cooker to wire into (This is purely a connection plate, no switches or fuses etc.)

If you already have this, then simply change this plate for a double socket (Assuming the MCB/fuse feeding this circuit is 32A or below)

You can probably still do it if the feed is higher than 32A, as the cooker and hob will be protected by their own plugtop fuses, but I am unsure of the regulation for this...

Toby...

Reply to
Toby

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 09:22:39 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@fsmail.net wrote this:-

Above the worktop, fit a switched fused connection unit to the existing cable. It needs to be within 2m of both units, but not above the hob.

Continue down the wall in 6mm cable to a dual box in a suitable place below the worktop. Orient it to make cable exit easy, probably horizontally.

Fit two cord outlets to this box.

Other manufacturers are available, including Crabtree who do a cord outlet which may be more suitable, depending on circumstances .

if you are down south beware of John Prescott.

Reply to
David Hansen