electrical conduit using old gas pipes?

Can i use old gas pipe for electrical conduit?

The floor rafters are notched at the top, which is too high to put wire through as nails could pierce them, but if i thread the cable through the old gaspipe using the existing notches, would this be 17th edition legal?

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

Gas pipe may have burrs inside which could damage the cable.

In some cases, it might still have gas inside :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

No.

You could drill new holes just for the cable.

Alternatively use BS8436 cable in the notches -

I believe sell it in cut 1m lengths, 1.5mm & 2.5mm. You might find the odd reel on Ebay under Nexans Alsecure, Prysmian Earthshield or Flexishield, Guardian Cable - all various incarnations of BS8436. The cable would need to be protected by a Type-B CPD and not Type-C D (ie, feeding HVAC).

You could use a different surface route, in trunking - easy to add cables to or replace vs taking up floorboards.

Reply to
js.b1

That is an advertising links site

I would like to use standard cheaper cable wherever possible.

I have access from underneath at the moment.

The gas piping is not copper (or I'd weigh it in)

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

Is it lead, as in my house? I've lugged out loads of the stuff over the years as I've had different floors up, and which I store for occasional trips to the scrappy! Also dead easy to remove of course.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Oops,

They do not list BS8436 on the site, but from emailing do carry it. It has its uses for "difficult situations", although in practice since it is probably "North of =A31 per metre" you would try to design it out.

Can you not drill fresh holes away from the notched joints?

You absolutely can not use old gas piping for mains wiring.

If it is soft grey it is lead, if it is a hard grey it is block tin (and very expensive), if it is iron barrel it is still not suitable re internal burrs.

Whilst short lengths of steel conduit that are inaccessible do not need to be earthed, but a former gas pipe is something quite different. It is presumably of some length with very tight bends which are quite unsuitable for sheathed cable and absolutely unsuitable for singles cable (6491) through it because 1) damage may occur in drawing in 2) conduit must be earthed 3) conduit for singles MUST be continuous between wiring accessories which requires adapters, bushes and so on which will not fit gas pipe :-)

You could replace the gas pipe with proper steel conduit, but would need to hire a hilmor tube bender for bends and suitable tap/die set for making off re bush-entry at each end (or conduit box). It should also be earthed and that earth needs to be accessible for Inspection & Testing. Flexible steel conduit does not comply with 526-06-06, this is why people use BS8436 because it does not need special glands like SWA that must remain accessible.

Reply to
js.b1

A conduit is a conduit. I see no reason not to use it. Where does it say it cannot be used?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

george [dicegeorge] wibbled on Monday 28 June 2010 14:35

You're right. I do believe he meant:

> I believe sell it in cut 1m lengths, 1.5mm & 2.5mm. You might find the

Reply to
Tim Watts

Doctor Drivel wibbled on Monday 28 June 2010 16:05

When it's as rough on the inside as your skull?

Reply to
Tim Watts

To be fair, there is lots of space inside Drivels skull. And what is inside will not chaff anything.

Cheers

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

It would make no difference to the electrical safety unless it is an old steel pipe.

You can knock a nail through the old lead gas pipes easier than you can through wood.

Cheers

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

You are right. Imagine what it would be like if it was filled? I lace you lot not even trying to think. Stephen Hawkins eat your heart out.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

F**king idiot! Must come from Kent or Sussex or some other boring place. There is nothing wrong with using the pipe. You just grease the cable when pulling through and then test. Duh!!!!

No reg ANYWHERE says you can't use it. Duh!!!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Well mine don't - it generates unnecessary flow resistance. However, not everyone's a perfectionist ;-)

I have reused a gas pipe for central heating radiator connection. It was conventiently the right route, and avoided ripping up (even more) floor. It's 1/2" copper tube.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel