Electrical conduit for signal voltages (identification)

I have two separate elec white conduits running on the wall of lean-to carport. One conduit carries mains cables to lighting and 13A power sockets. The other carries signal voltages. i.e thermocouples, boiler external temp sensor , alarms, maybe cctv in the future etc. Is there a (BS) standard way of marking these conduit systems to warn uninformed people of their use? A colour code maybe or a label? There is a 20 mm gas pipe on the wall which I 've painted yellow. Don

Reply to
Donwill

Why not simply label them with a label maker every foot or so. If there are any dyslexic or non English reading people mark them with small icons representing the services within.

I have two separate elec white conduits running on the wall of lean-to carport. One conduit carries mains cables to lighting and 13A power sockets. The other carries signal voltages. i.e thermocouples, boiler external temp sensor , alarms, maybe cctv in the future etc. Is there a (BS) standard way of marking these conduit systems to warn uninformed people of their use? A colour code maybe or a label? There is a 20 mm gas pipe on the wall which I 've painted yellow. Don

Reply to
Londonman

In article , Donwill writes

Grey or green by convention, personally I'd use green as it has a clear association with buried cable TV and grey doesn't seem distinctive enough.

This list extracted from:

duct LV power (LT 500V)

Red duct HV power (GT 500V)

Yellow duct gas pipe

Blue duct potable water

Grey or green duct telecom/cable TV

Orange duct traffic signals (highway and railway)

Purple duct motorway lighting and overhead gantries

Note that parts are in direct conflict with USA colours shown at:

fred

underground, green is the colour for water services.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

BS 1710:1984 covers colours for services in buildings. The colour for electrical services is orange, but there is no way in the standard to differentiate between signal and mains electrical services. (Unlike water, which has a dozen variations on green and green with bands of other colours).

I suggest painting the mains conduit orange and leaving the signal conduit white, with text marking at regular intervals. As few people actually know the standard, text marking is commonly used in addition to the colours anyway.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar