Electrical Cables in outer wall cavities

Can anyone confirm the situation here.

Am I right in thinking that it is illegal to use the outer cavity to run mains cables? Why?

What is the situation regarding low voltage cables and signal coaxs?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
garym999

ISTR it is, risk of moisture ingress I think ?

Do what you want with those, the Nanny State hasn't noticed them yet.

Reply to
Mark Carver

What is "the outer cavity"?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I mean the space between the outside walls of the house and the inner wall.

I need to run a CCTV cable to the loft from the front door without cables showing and going through the cavity seems to easist way.

But just for reference I wondered what the score is with other types of cables.

Reply to
garym999

One risk factor mentioned here in the past was that if the house should have cavity wall insulation injected, then the insulation would be likely to attack and degrade the outer sheath of any electrical cable.

The same risk applies to wiring for any appliances (eg outside lights) which passes through a cavity wall; AIUI such wires are meant to run in conduit pushed through a hole in the two leaves of the cavity wall. Don't know how many pro sparks actually do that though?

David

Reply to
Lobster

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 10:12:17 GMT someone who may be Lobster wrote this:-

Only certain types of insulation (the foam ones) which are currently not encouraged (if not banned completely).

Reply to
David Hansen

Do it.

I don't think there is an issue..its just that generally when you build like that, insulating batts go in there as the blockwork is put up, and its easier to run cables under cap strips before plastering. Than feed them through a space already full of rockwool.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well right or wrong I have installed the cable. The wall construction is of outer brick, rockwool bats, aero blocks. I used a long length of conduit to shove up the cavity to the loft. This of course gave me a easy to use protected cable space.

As with many things I guess it is down to common sense. I was just wondering if was explicity illegal etc.

Reply to
garym999