Electrical bonding (again)

A new boiler installed in a flat.

New copper 28mm gas supply installed from the meter outside and connected to existing 22mm which goes to the boiler.

The question is, what needs bonding, and where?

The other flats have their gas supply connected to each other with thick (10mm?) copper cables outside the building just above the meters.

Various electricians are talking about the need to run an earthing cable from just above the meter to close to the boiler inside the flat. Doesn't seem to make sense to me. Why can't the bonding be made outside next to the meter? The copper is unbroken between there and the boiler...

TIA.

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 00:30:31 +0000 someone who may be F wrote this:-

Do you mean a cable connected to the gas pipe on the "house" side of the gas meter, connected to the gas pipe close to the boiler and connected to nothing else? If so this is not required, assuming the joints in the copper gas pipe are reliable metal to metal joints.

You seem to be talking about a different thing here. A main bonding conductor should be connected to the "house" side of the gas pipe as close to the meter as practical, provided there is no insulated insert.

Reply to
David Hansen

There should be a bonding cable connecting the gas and mains water pipe at the points of entry to the building, back to the electric meter. Is your stopcock near the boiler? That would then make sense.

Look at Figure 5.13 here:

David

Reply to
Lobster

That's what they're saying.

It did seem pointless if, as you say, the copper is in a continuous run between the meter outside and the boiler inside.

That's what the other flats have and they're all daisy chained to each other. I assume we can simply link across to the chain?