electric shower problems

Dear all,

I'd appreciate any advice for a problem I'm having with an electric shower.

During operation, the shower works perfectly well. Sometimes though, when the unit first receives mains power (but no water comes out at this point) the shower makes a hell of a noise and the pipes rattle. After this, when a button is pressed and water comes out, everything is fine.

Last night, I turned the shower on at the mains (but didn't operate it, so again no water was coming out) whilst the toilet was filling - and the shower unit tried to shake itself to bits, making a terrible racket in the pipes, which could only be stopped by turning the unit off at the mains.

Does anyone know what on earth is going on here? I could understand it if there was water hammer in the pipes during operation, but this is not the case!!

Many thanks,

EDward.

Reply to
ebuckley

Whatever it is I sure wouldnt be using it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Possibly a failure of a component on the control pcb , or a build-up of carbon from the worn motor bushes shorting the pcb, is causing the pump motor to self-start. ( assuming a power shower)

As you haven't turned on the water via the mixer / flow control, its running dry..

They don't like running dry at all, and shake and rattle rather a lot before failing horribly .

This happened to me a while ago :(

Reply to
jon

It is not clear that you really mean "electric shower". An electric shower has a heating element, but no pump. A power shower has a pump, but no heating element. Which type do you have?

If you really have an electric shower, I can only think that the heating element is jammed on and the banging and noise is the water boiling away internally. This would be very dangerous and I would immediately isolate the device and not use it.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

This is an electric shower, not a power shower...

Would a faulty solenoid > > Last night, I turned the shower on at the mains (but didn't operate it,

Reply to
ebuckley

Err...my electric shower does have a pump. It is fed from the cold water tank. This (supposedly) gives a greater flow than a mains-fed shower. Can't say I've ever noticed that much difference.

Alan Lynas

Reply to
Alan Lynas

That's a power electric shower!

A straight electric shower has no pump.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

It's a Triton T90i and is described as a "pumped electric shower". The water output bears no comparison to a power shower.

Alan Lynas

Reply to
Alan Lynas