Electric shower, lime scale

Once again the overheat trip on the Aqualisa Quartz shower in my wife's flat is giving problems.

The complete shower has been replaced under warranty several times and it now appears the manufacturer is unwilling to further stand by their guarantee.

I suspect the problem will be lime scale in the heater unit but I believe these units have tell tale sticker discouraging opening the box:-(

The real problem is a family with a cleanliness fetish in a hard water area but I need to know where I stand legally before I approach the service dept.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I've always been pleased with Aqualisa support, however you don't say how long the warranty period is, just remember that the warranty runs from the first date of install it doesn't reset with each repair or replacement.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Just seen that the Aqualisa guarantee excludes scale damage:

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Oh. I rather assumed that a replacement would restart the clock. If they hold to that, I have nothing to lose by an attempted repair.

Service fitter seemed unable/unwilling to change the heater assembly. Otherwise prompt and appeared knowledgeable

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I'm on my second electric shower in 25 years, and the first one didn't fail due to scale, despite being in a moderately hard water area. Seems odd that a market leading shower can't cope with hard water

Reply to
stuart noble

I had to change the *copper pot* on the only electric one we have used ourselves. Easy job apart from spanner access issues.

The Aqualisa heater is tiny by comparison and includes a solenoid which adds to the cost (£101.00).

My wife has decided to go with the Aqualisa service and pay up so no longer my problem:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

It will depend on the surface area of the heater. Heating water up to showering temperature doesn't cause any build-up of scale. The problem will arise if the heater surface area is small such that it heats a small proportion of the water up much hotter (>60C) to be mixed later in the flow with cold water which missed the element. That will cause the element to scale up. So it all depends on the design of the heater.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Well ok, but still a bit naff for a top named product

Reply to
stuart noble

Various service calls have resulted in the heater rating being reduced to 8.5kW but without improvement. I take the surface temperature point made above.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

One wonders whether the design has been modified. Of course they wouldn't tell you that anyway :-)

Reply to
stuart noble