Electric shower above bath okay?

Hi all,

Is it legally acceptable to position an electric shower unit over a bath - I mean, in situations where you don't have room to install a shower cubicle, but use the bath itself as the base?

It occurred to me that there might be some building regulation prohibiting this.

Many thanks,

Al

Reply to
AL_n

AL_n formulated the question :

None that I am aware of, many including ourselves, have a shower over the bath - but the electrical regs need to be very carefully followed to the letter.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I would have thought that the bath becomes shower tray, so no different than putting a shower over a shower tray.

mark

Reply to
mark

Make sure the heater unit cannot be directly sprayed by the shower head, this usually means that the shower head and heater unit need to be mounted on the same wall. The heater unit can withstand splashing but not spray under pressure.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Thanks to all for the helpful input on this. I must say, I had never heard of a building reg prohibiting it, although it occurred to me that it'd the sort of thing they might prohibit. One slight complication is that the wall I want to fix the heater to is only studwork, so a 'brute' could probably wrench it from the wall. That's why I thought building regs might prohibit it. I guess I could insert an extra studwork member in the wall so that there's some timber to screw into, but it's all extra work - and I don;t have any brutes in the house!

Al

Reply to
AL_n

How does that work then, when a large number of the units sold have a hand-held shower head that I can, as a user of the shower, point directly at the heater unit?

Though it's not like any electric shower has enough pressure to get very far...

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

If mounted on the same wall, then it is unlikely that the heater unit would accidently be sprayed by the head. Yes, you can take the head out of the bracket and deliberately spray the heater - but the point is you would need to be quite stupid to do that.

Ours has more than enough pressure.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Yes of course...

Why? Showers are designed to be installed in zone 0.

Reply to
John Rumm

The shower head is usually demountable, so this is not possible. The shower unit will be designed to withstand direct jets of water.

Reply to
John Rumm

Again, nothing wrong with mounting on a stud wall so long as its secure.

Reply to
John Rumm

When I installed a Mira electrical shower at our last house the destructions did specify that it would withstand indirect spray but not to position the heater unit where it would come under direct spray.

Mounting on a stud wall is OK just ensure it is fixed securely, it is also handy for concealing wiring and plumbing.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky