Electric shower

hello!

have just installed a electric shower which works fine but fuse in fuse box blows if wife puts tuble dryer on at the same time.

have i bought a faulty shower or has the tumble dryer suddently gone wrong (big coincidence, queue twighlight zone music)?

thanks

harry

Reply to
Mr Harry

By definition an instantaneous electric shower should be on its own circuit. The implication of your (somewhat short!) posting is (AFAICS) that the shower is on the ring main feeding the tumble dryer. If this is so, things aren't fine at all. We need more information about how the two things are wired in.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

On 3 Dec 2004 08:05:27 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@sild.net (Mr Harry) strung together this:

Neither, you've wired it up wrong. The shower should be on its own circuit.

Reply to
Lurch

hello. the tumble dryer is plugged into a socket.

the shower was wired in by my friend martin because he knows about electrics. all i can say is that the cable goes through the bathroom wall, round the skirting board in the bedroom and into a socket.

ill ask martin tonight weather the shower is on the ring main feeding the socket.

harry

Reply to
Mr Harry

Use a bigger fuse. If that fails use a suitably sized nail.

sPoNiX

Caveat: Don't try this at home...it's a JOKE, OK?

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

As it's this sort of thing that is causing the government to make things difficult for most of the posters on this ng, I should keep your head down (and don't use "friends who know about electrics" ). Seriously and with the best intent.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

On 3 Dec 2004 08:28:30 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@sild.net (Mr Harry) strung together this:

Your friend Martin knows f*ck all about electrics and should be shot.

I wouldn't bother, get an electrician in to do the job properly, your friend Martin is a danger to anyone around him.

Reply to
Lurch

The shower should be on its own circuit. As it apparently isn't you need a competent electrician to sort this out for you.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I don't see how this can be, a shower wired via a 13amp plug would blow the fuse in the plug as soon as you switched it on.

Something not quite right here!

Dave Jones

Reply to
Dave Jones

Well, he doesnt specifically say it is plugged in, he may just have poked the wires into the holes! (or spurred of the back)

Reply to
Mike Hibbert

Naah, it'll work fine if he's just put a nail in.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

It should be on its own circuit with cable and fuse chosen according to the rating of the shower.

Is that what he told you.

I wouldn't bother. It is, but I doubt whether your onanistic friend Martin would know that. I'm afraid he hasn't done too well so far.

It is time to call an electrician and get the job done properly

Reply to
Andy Hall

True! Probably wired in 2.5mm flex as well, just hope he doesn't live to far from the fire station!

Reply to
Dave Jones

"Dave Jones" wrote | > the shower was wired in by my friend martin because he knows

Insert here: f*ck all

| > about electrics. all i can say is that the cable goes through | > the bathroom wall, round the skirting board in the bedroom and | > into a socket. | I don't see how this can be, a shower wired via a 13amp plug would | blow the fuse in the plug as soon as you switched it on. | Something not quite right here!

It's wired into the *socket* I guess, not the plug.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It's a bit early in the year for the uk.misc idiot troll competition isn't it?

Reply to
Peter Parry

You should get the badgers to do it, not the bodgers.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

ROFLMFAO !!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFLMFAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Having just read this one as well, and you lot saying that Part P is a nonsense. I think I'll shoot the lot of you.

ROFLMFAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFLMFAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
BigWallop

You do talk crap sometimes....

Part P _is_ a nonsense, without doubt. This is yet another example of why.

How do you suppose part P is going to do anything to stop "martin who knows about electrics"? Its not like he cares enough to find out how to install a shower without doing it so badly that he risks (someone else's) life and limb in a multitude of ways. Do you suppose he is going to go to the effort of submitting a building notice as well?

Of course to the hard of thinking, wiring a shower from a spur off an existing final ring circuit would be a "minor work" and hence exempt. Adding a new circuit however would not. Assuming Martin does learn about part P that should be even more incentive to bodge it.

Reply to
John Rumm

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 01:33:17 GMT, "BigWallop" strung together this:

You've obviously missed the point, Martin knows nothing about electrics, he knows nothing about Part P. If Part P said 'no-one shall ever do electrics, ever' do you think Martin would know? No, therefore Part P isn't going to have an effect on bodging diyers.

Reply to
Lurch

My point was, that there is an increase in fixed wiring fault damage from DIY wiring systems, so Part P is going to be in place to cover insurance companies, and others, against paying out claims in such cases. If the wiring was found to have been carried out by an unqualified or incompetent person, the insurance company will not pay out a claim unless they have proof that the wiring was independently checked by a recognised test by a recognised registered person.

It's because of the increase in insurance claims that this new requirement is being brought in. It isn't just to make life difficult for the average sparkie in the street.

If Martins pal here had had a house fire due to Martins incompetence in wiring the shower, then Martins pal here would be told to go F* himself by the insurance company, because the installation was not up to the standards that the insurance want in his house. Every piece of electrical equipment, bought from a legitimate source, has a warning stating that it must be fitted by a qualified electrician, but Martins pal isn't, so his equipment is not going to be covered by warranty and, therefore, also isn't going to be covered by his house insurance company from now on either.

That's the only thing Part P is going to cover.

Reply to
BigWallop