electric shock from outside tap

Yesterday I was washing an aluminium pan outside. My right hand had a hold of the pan, which was in contact with the wet path. I had wellies on, and when I took a hold of the tap I got an electric shock, not a big one, but big enough for me to let go everything in a hurry. I later turned the tap on again, but no shock. I did not touch the pan at the same time. An electrician is at the house today, I am at work. He suggested it might be because of the wet weather the fault has become apparent. On a previous job he found the fault a couple of houses away from the house where the fault was discovered. Is the most likely cause a fault in my wiring which is then getting to the earth? I also dont understand how I could be an easier path to earth than the pipe?

Reply to
misterroy

Did you test the tap with a neon screwdriver to see if it was live?

If you grab live mains you usually cannot let go.

I would be more inclined to think your wellies allowed you to acquire a decent static charge and the tap provided the path to earth.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Do you recall if it felt like a mains shock, or a single sharp static shock?

The fact yo had wellies on would have insulated you from earth at your feet, i am just wondering if you were also wearing man made fibre, and had built up some static and then this discharged through the earthed tap.

I do realise you said you also had hold of the metal pot, was this with bare hands, with a metal path to the wet path?

Reply to
Toby

Yes, often if there is a resistive path to live like this, when the tap is dry just gently run your finger over it, if you feel a buzzzing tingle its mains. I tend to suspect the static charge issue, but who knows what might have happened, You should be safe as long as you are insulated if its mains. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes, one hand in pocket from now on. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

New incoming water pipes haven't been metal for years and years.

Reply to
hugh

PME supply and someone disconnected neutral?

Reply to
funkyoldcortina