Electric shavers

Nothing to do with DIY I suppose but I was pondering what a rip-off electric shavers are. Over the years I've gone through about 6 of them. The motors never break down but when the foil breaks after a year, or maybe two if you're lucky, they rip you off for nearly as much for a foil and cutter pack as the whole bloody thing cost in the first place. OK maybe that's because I just buy the cheapest one that Argos has on sale at the time but the price for a foil/cutter pack is about the same for every model whether it cost £20 or £60 in the first place. Usually £16 to £20.

If the whole shaver, box, travelling bag, charger even if it's a rechargeable one costs £20 how come just a foil and cutter costs nearly as much? Well clearly it doesn't but once they've got you hooked into the purchase they can charge nearly as much as the whole replacement price because that's still the most cost effective way to keep the thing working.

However, 15 months ago, just after the last shaver broke its foil and I was grumbling about the necessity of forking out another £20 soon, I was filling up with petrol and there was a promotional items stand of things you could buy cheap with a full tank of petrol. One of them was a waterproof, rechargeable electric shaver for about £5. That'll do the big man methinks and sprung for one. Even if it's crap I figured you can't go far wrong for a fiver.

15 months later it not only not crap it's a cracking little bit of kit. It shaves adequately close, the foil is still going strong, a recharge takes only 2 hours and lasts over a week which is handy when the bathroom doesn't have a socket and here's the icing on the cake. When I got the thing home and unpacked it there in a little recess in the bottom of the box is a spare foil for when the first one breaks. That spare foil alone is worth more than the whole purchase price if it means you don't have to buy a new shaver for another couple of years.

So if a bloody decent rechargeable shaver with a spare foil thrown in can be sold at a profit for so little money how come Braun et al charge more for just a foil?

On the box it says DSL promotions so I did a bit of Googling and here's the very thing.

you shave with an electric shaver and spot one of those at your local filling station buy one. In fact buy several. I wish I had. Two or three of those would probably last me until the men in black coats come to plant me.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Use a proper razor. It's much faster and more thorough than an electric one.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I've just been looking around for a replacement for my Philishave 805; a couple of years ago I replaced the battery but now the heads are too blunt and I can't think of a sensible way to sharpen them. New ones are £30+ for the 3! New shavers range from a fiver (probably too cheap) up to £200 (certainly too expensive) and I'm dithering over which model to go for. Any recommendations?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

The message from "Dave Baker" contains these words:

That's about what most people spend on razor blades in a year if they wet shave.

Reply to
Guy King

Not for one second did I expect there to be a discussion forum for electric shavers - thanks :-) (and apologies for it being non-DIY) Dave

Reply to
Dave

Of course its DIY, unless you get someone to shave you ;-)

Dave

Reply to
gort

Do you imagine there's a single topic left for which there *isn't* a discussion forum somewhere? :-)

David

Reply to
Lobster

Reply to
meow2222

As a result of that link I've spent more than intended and ordered a Panasonic ES8163 for £119.99

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I found growing a beard was faster still...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Not if you trim it. Trimming takes an age.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I generally trim it twice a week. Must admit I do actually shave areas where I don't want the beard such as my neck, but it's still faster than shaving everything.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I grew a beard 3 or 4 years ago, and even including trimming (electric trimmers are very good), it's *way* less time consuming than shaving.

Reply to
Huge

I just shave while the bath is filling with water.

I wouldn't leave it unattended whilst filling, so it's not like I'd be doing anything else with the time.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Sorry about that!

Out of interest, who was selling at £119.99? shavers.co.uk are showing £139.99.

One of the price find sites showed shavers.co.uk as having it at 119.99; when I rang them they confirmed there was £20 "off" at the moment (but it doesn't appear on their website) Dave

Reply to
Dave