Electric Sanders for decorating - Can anyone advise?

BlankMy ancient B&D electric sander no longer works and I need a replacement. Can anyone give me some advice on what would be the best thing to replace it with - I'm pretty ignorant! I need it for decorating purposes - i.e. rubbing down where I have filled holes in our dodgy walls and sanding wood work prior to repainting.
Any advice on types of sander, brands and whether its worth spending a bit more for better results with minimum hassle (!) would be gratefully received. I am currently sanding by hand and it's getting very tedious! Thanks for any help.
Liz
Peter Boulton wrote:

Belt sanders remove lots of material, but create a lot of dust (even with vac attached). But they're my choice for doing large areas.
--
Grunff

I have a belt sander and a small delta sander. I am particularly pleased with the latter - I bought a basic one and it serves us proud.

thing
walls
bit
"get thee sen a black & decker mouse
If you can afford it go for Makita.

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 18:14:07 -0000, "Peter Boulton"

Bosch orbital would be my choice. Can be slowed/speeded up to suit the job and isn't too small or too big.
Mark S.

thing
bit
The 10 B&Q one is actually quite comfortable to use. And once it dies (usually the switch) you take it in and they give you a nice gleaming new one.