Electric Power tools flex - but not much

Why are electric power tools fitted with the amuzingly named "flex". Flex my

****. It's so stiff I could make coat-hangers from it. I guess there is some safety reason - somewhere. (Prescot doesn't have shares in it does he :-) )

(Ok I'll call it cable if you like)

Reply to
dave

Try it again in Summer. My cabinet saw squeaks in this weather, when I tilt the motor over and the cable tries to flex.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Ooh! A slacker's dream. Why didn't I think of that. :-)

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Good, flexible cable is expensive, power tools are usually a very cutthroat market, hence they save on anything they can, I always try to get 'self coiling' stuff, especially for drills and grinders, usually I have to find and fit it, and remember to get a decent length cable, some new machine cables are ludicrously short, although things I have bought recently have been ok for length of cable, but as you say, the cable is very stiff.

mrcheerful;

Reply to
mrcheerful

It varies a lot depending on the quality of the tool. Most of my cheaper tools have nasty, short, stiff cables. Most of my better ones (DeWalt and Makita) have long (3-5m), rubbery cable.

Reply to
Grunff

Grunff wrote: Most of my better ones

Are they Chineese then?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Could well be - Makita are made in China.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Your a rice one you are!

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Whoosh!!!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Best flex is still TRS (rubber). But look at the cost compared to PVC at somewhere like the TLC site. It's about 3 times the price.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Add Bosch green to the list (at least on the SDS from Argos).

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I simply have replaced the flex on many of my tools with quality (HO5RN ? IIRC) true rubber flex. I can also make the flex a bit longer so eliminating the need for an extension lead sometimes.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

That's a very useful thing to do, especially if you're going up with a power tool.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Same here. Nothing annoys more than a supplied flex which doesn't allow the tool to reach half way across a room.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Avoiding having to hook the extension lead reel on to the ladder/steps.

Reply to
Ed Sirett