Electric oven installation

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

We solved the problem with an extra cooker :-)

We were having lots of family at xmas and our normal gas oven just was not going to cope with the cooking without a lot of fiddling and juggling. We got an electric cooker of Freeecycle and put in the pantry (which is bigger than some of my previous kitchens...).

CU is in their as well so wiring it in was pretty easy

Quite handy really.

Reply to
chris French

On Fri, 26 May 2006 12:21:11 +0100 someone who may be "Steve Rainbird" wrote this:-

You and the boss need to consider the merits of gas and electric ovens. Generally gas ones have the advantage that the temperature varies through the oven, allowing different things to be cooked at different temperatures. Generally electric ones have the advantage of an even temperature in the oven, allowing lots of the same thing to be cooked at the same temperature and they also warm up more quickly. Both are generalisations, there are fan assisted gas ovens and some electric ovens can be operated without the fan. It is a matter of personal prejudice, but many people prefer a gas hob and electric oven if they have the choice.

With double ovens ensure that the larger one is as large as a single oven and the smaller one is much smaller and has all the facilities of the large one, timer, fan and so on. Double ovens with two ovens much the same size are not useful.

Having thought this through you will have some suitable models to consider. If you want an electric one come back and tell us the ratings. Someone may be kind enough to give you some specific advice on it.

Generally single ovens are rated at under 2kW for the oven and a more than 2kW for the grill. In theory they can be plugged into a socket. However, as fixed equipment they should be wired in "permanently". A plug and socket carrying a heavy current for long periods in a hot location (like the back of an oven cabinet) is, like a plug and socket in an airing cupboard for an immersion heater, a recipe for fire.

If the ring is not heavily loaded then a load of up to 16A can be connected to it if protected by a circuit breaker, or 13A if protected by a fuse. However, the typical kitchen ring is already blessed with washing equipment, kettles and so on, so is unlikely to be lightly loaded.

The best solution is to run a proper cooker circuit from the consumer unit to a suitable place in the kitchen. This will allow the oven to be connected properly and provides future flexibility if someone wants electric rings as well or an electric cooker. Unless the run is a very long one there is no point in skimping on this circuit and only providing one suitable for a small oven.

Reply to
David Hansen

Depends on the oven. Look up the specs of the one you want. A single oven will probably come with a fitted 13 amp plug. I recently bought a double oven with grill which needs a dedicated cooker point as it can take more than 13 amps.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)