Electric or gas oven ??

Planning out our new kitchen and although we are definitely going to go for a gas hob we're not sure about the oven. Anyone got any opinions on why one would be better than the other ?

Also how do they compare running cost wise ?

Thanks

Jim

Reply to
Jim

In my lifetime, I have had both and I wish that I had a gas hob in these times of rising energy prices.

An electric oven, of the non fanned type, it will take an age to warm up. Whereas a gas oven will be up to temp in a very few minutes.

As to the merits of a gas oven to a fanned electrical oven, I'll leave that to others to discuss.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

A fanned oven is 5-15 minutes Not too bad

Gas? so long since I used one..

The old one in my patents house back in the 50's was not very even temperature wise, and lighting it was a pain.

Alhough I do love gas hobs, I think I'd pick electric for an oven..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The message from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

I'd agree, though having used one of the new radiant hobs they're very much better than they were before.

Reply to
Guy King

A "good" gas oven is better. A problem is that they push a lot of water vapour into the room from the products of combustion, as do hobs. Having a good ventilation fan or hob extractor is essential, well I suppose that is the case for electric too. A myth came about that electric ovens are cleaner. I have never found that and I have come across many hundreds of them. Gas is cheaper to run and a good gradual action oven stat will maintain an oven temperature far better than an on-off electric oven, as it raises and lowers the flame. There are fan assisted gas ovens too. They tend to be more expensive to buy, another reason why people, don't go for them. If you do a lot of cooking in an oven then gas makes more sense.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Electric oven definitely, fanned preferably.

With a gas oven you have to vent the products of combustion out of the oven into the room which in this weather ... whew!

Whereas with electric you can keep all the heat inside the oven.

Because of the efficiency of not wasting hot gases the electric oven might actually be cheaper to run despite electrickery being a more expensive fuel. However neither uses a great deal of fuel so unless you're cooking 24/7 the running costs aren't likely to be significant compared to e.g. what you might save by better draughtproofing & insulation of your house.

Reply to
John Stumbles

So, only rubbish now then, rather than being utterly crap?

:o)

Reply to
Huge

I currently have a gas hob and a fan electric oven. The Gas hob is perfect, as is the Oven. Problem is I do a lot of grilling too, and find the (electric) grill in the oven costing me too much.

so, in an ideal world, I'd have a Gas hob, Fan electric oven, and a Gas Grill/small oven.

Reply to
Ian Cornish

Some models have the products of combustion vent out at the rear of the hob on the work top. Having the hob extractor on takes it all out.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Doesn't gas have an advantage with being moist? Still leccy fan oven for me..

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

The message from Huge contains these words:

Apart from being too small so the pan kept interfering with the too-clever controls - no, rather good. A proper one without fancy touch controls would be quite good.

Reply to
Guy King

Electric fan over is better than a gas oven. A gas oven is better than a conventional electric oven.

However, an electric grill has no purpose whatsoever, except as a smoke generator. You might just be able to make toast on it, but if you put anything else in, the fat rises and attacks the heating element. Gas is infinitely superior as a grill, as the fat just gets used up as fuel, with no smoking. Why they persist in putting electric grills in dual fuel cookers, I can't quite fathom.

Because of the grill situation, my current cooker has a main gas oven, although the 2nd oven is an electric fan oven. I believe it was too tall and thin to work as gas, so it remains electric even on the "gas" model, which is good.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle