Electric Motor Cooling Fan

I have a 2.4kW electric motor in a garden shredder. It has a broken radial cooling fan that is a push fit onto the rear arbor. I don't think that it is available separately as a spare - only the whole motor.

Does anyone know a possible source of replacements? It is about 150mm in diameter, radial because it can be used in both directions and plastic. Fits on a 12mm arbor.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

I would be very surprised if you could buy a spare one. It is also a very small shaft for such a relatively powerful motor which might make robbing one from a defunct motor difficult. I managed to get one replaced on a brand new motor that was delivered with a fin missing.

If you happen to have a local back street rewind workshop they might have something in the scrap bin from a motor taken to them that was beyond economic repair.

Failing that, repair or make a replacement.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Miles Tools are good on spares, although you haven't said what make.

need a fan and maybe a lathe. Any old rubbish will fit in there and probably work OK, but it will need to be securely fastened and well balanced.

In extremis, throw the fan away and mount a new fan externally (PC cooling fan etc.). You don't need a specific fan, just to achieve airflow.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Yes, but beware with pc fans, they run far slower than a lot of mains motors, so similar size wuold produce nowhere near enough cooling.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Bearing Services,now called Brammer sell fans on there own,so do most of the proper power transmission places.

Reply to
mark