Electric Light

I want to change from a ceiling rose with pendant to a light on the ceiling. The new light has 3 terminals for wiring. The old ceiling rose is on a loop system and I cannot work out how to wire it into the 3 terminals, I have had a blown fuse, lights on but wont go off and off but wont go on. I have the live from the switch to the live the problem seems to be the two red wires from the loop Im sure its simple, please help! thanks reb

Have a look at http://www.userview.net/loop1.html HTH Adam

Have a look here reb, :
http://www.electrical-installations-rewiring.co.uk/change-light-fitting.html
it should explain it for you.
"Reb" wrote | I want to change from a ceiling rose with pendant to a light on the | ceiling. | The new light has 3 terminals for wiring.
Hopefully Live Neutral Earth
| The old ceiling rose is on a loop | system and I cannot work out how to wire it into the 3 terminals,
That's because it needs be 4 terminals: Live Neutral Earth and Switched-Live.
| I have had a blown fuse, lights on but wont go off and off but wont | go on. I have the live from the switch to the live the problem seems | to be the two red wires from the loop
Fuse-blowing is commonly due to mistaking the switch cable for one of the loops and connecting red and black to L and N. When the switch is turned on that places a dead short between L and N.
Connect all 3 reds to a bit of insulated choc-block - this is L Connect the black from the switch to the L terminal on the light - this is switched-live Connect the other 2 blacks to the N terminal on the light - this is switched-live Connect all the earths to the E on the light (with green/yellow sleeving)
Owain
"Owain" wrote and the bit I forgot:
| Connect all 3 reds to a bit of insulated choc-block - this is L | Connect the black from the switch to the L terminal on the light - this | is switched-live *** put a bit of red sleeving/tape on this to show it's an L not an N ***
| Connect the other 2 blacks to the N terminal on the light - this is | switched-live | Connect all the earths to the E on the light (with green/yellow sleeving)
Owain
Hi Owain,
In uk.d-i-y you remarked...

Not neutral then???
--
t@k
(Invalid return address. Please reply to newsgroup).

To be perfectly honest, if this is causing you a problem then it might be better to seek help from someone who is familiar with this sort of thing.
Is the new light fitting of metal construction or have bare metal? If so, it needs to be earthed - and if you've got 3 wires coming in it sounds like you possibly haven't got an earth - the three wires are likely to be unswitched live, switched live, and neutral.
Another element of this situation could be the age of the wiring. If you haven't got an earth to the ceiling connector then it sounds like an older property, because newer installations have the earth wire. Be aware that the 16th edition wiring regulations require that if you change part of a circuit (as you would be doing by changing the light fitting) then you have to make good the circuit to meet the new wiring regulations. Leastways, that's what the guy teaching my 16th edition course at college advised recently (and he was a time-served electrician).
And if you do have to update the wiring to meet the current regs you've most likely got a major rewiring job on your hands.
PoP

Not very likely. The OP refers to three terminals in the new fitting not three wires. It looks more likely to be an end of line on a loop from the description. Adam
On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 20:17:14 GMT, "ARWadsworth"

My mistake. I misread the description (why do these fingers hit the reply key so damn fast? ;)).
PoP