Electric Lawnmower Won't Start

My 6 year old Qualcast Power Trak 34" lawnmower started cutting out a couple of weeks ago. It restarted if I let go of the on / off lever and then pulled it in again.

It's now stopped working completely. When I try & start it, nothing at all happens. I've checked the fuse, the plug and the lead and all seem OK. The blade rotates freely.

Is there anything else I can do to trouble shoot?

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
Michael D

Not being an electrician, but sounds like the on/off switch matbe faulty. can you safely bypass the switch and see if it works.

Reply to
SS

take the covers off, follow thru it with a multimeter to see what bits conduct ok and where its failing to. Common failure points are the switch, the cable where it enters the appliance, and the motor.

NT

Reply to
NT

BEFORE MAKING ANY REPAIRS TO THIS TYPE OF APPLIANCE, MAKE SURE THE ELECTRICITY IS COMPLETELY REMOVED, BY UNPLUGGING FROM THE MAINS SOCKET. ALSO MAKE SURE THAT THE BLADE IS FIXED OR COVERED WITH THICK CLOTH TO PREVENT INJURY.

If the motor has carbon brushes, which the symptoms you describe sort of point to, then you should be able to see two brass square tube-like inserts at one end and to either side of the motor (usually at the top of the motor on this type appliance).

The inserts hold carbon brushes which, by the aid of springs attached to the carbon brushes, make contact with the armature windings (copper wire wound around things on the spinny part of the motor). These carbon brushes wear down when the spinny part of the motor (armature) rubs against them.

It is usually quiet simple to remove a couple of screws holding a single cover on the appliance, for the simple reason that these brushes do wear down and the cover is simple to remove to allow them to be replaced.

Find a supplier of the carbon brushes (the maker should have details for your local area) and replace the brushes your self. While you have the cover off the motor, clean and clear all the debris that has collect on the sponge dirt guard around the inside of the cover.

BigWallop

Borrow a cable from a neighbour. And try your cable in theirs. It's the most likely fault.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Better still, get a volt stick then you can check non-invasively.

Reply to
Newshound

How would you check the neutral path with that?

NT

Reply to
NT

Many thanks for the helpful suggestions.

I took the top off it & gave it a good clean, but still no joy. I also had a go with the voltmeter which suggested that the connections into the mower were fine. Despite having a good look I couldn't find the brushes (there were no more obviouis screws to remove).

At that stage I realised I was probably at the limit of my knowledge & what it was worth trying with a 6 year old mower, so I've bought a new one. However at least I know that I had a decent go at fixing it.

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
Michael D

If you have power all the way to the motor, it must be the neutral (which won't be switched).

Reply to
Newshound