Electric juicer fuse

A friend's electric juicer stopped suddenly today and closer inspection shows that a small internal fuse has blown.

It's from this circuit board.

As best as I can tell, it's rated at 250V and 15 amps but the writing is absolutely minuscule so it's hard to be certain of it's 5 or 15 amps.

Looking at the stuff that was being juiced I suspect it was just briefly overloaded (by a raw sweet potato) so I think it's worth just trying a new fuse, problem is, I don't know what terms to search for on eBay. "Glass fuse" doesn't bring up anything with tails.

It's about 12mm long and 3mm in diameter.

What's the correct term for this kind of fuse?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Thinking about it, I think 1.5amp might be more likely.

Reply to
Tim+

Doh! Another follow up. The motor is rated at 220-240V and 500-700W. What would be the most likely value for the resistor?

Maximum current drawn would seem to be of the order of 2.5amps but maybe a slow-blow fuse of 1.5 is enough? Dunno. Your advice appreciated.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I would go to the CPCFarnell site and keep filtering 'Fuses' until you find what you need.

Davey

It's just an ordinary glass fuse... Are you sure it can't be removed from the end caps. You could just solder a new one in. You will need to find the exact current rating (it's important to get it right) and work out if it is fast or slow blow.

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

Just did a quick search on ebay and Axial lead might be what you need to search for.

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

What does the writing on the wire-ended fuse actually say? I would guess 5 amps, but if there's a T at the end that would be Thermal delay.

Reply to
Dave W

Try going to manufacturers site ans see if they have a circuit to download. If not send them an email

Reply to
Broadback

Fuses with tails are normally thermal fuses. Since you can't solder to them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

fuse 12mm x 3mmm ?

The Natural Philosopher

No joy. Rang them up and eventually spoke to someone who could quote me a price for the whole pcb but couldn't tell me the value of the fuse (although he did have the circuit diagram).

I just need to know what kind of fuse it's likely to be and what sort of value based on its quoted power of 500-700W.

FWIW, if I squint my eyes up and use my strongest magnifying glass the marks on the other end look like "C", followed by 01 in a circle, followed by "US", followed by an "S", a couple of odd lines making a sort of wineglass shape, and then maybe a "1".

Reading the figures is complicated by the fuses having a two part cap at each end, the larger outer cap slightly overlaps the inner one that has the printing.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

that's 2-3A so likely its a 5A fuse.

If it has a 13A fused plug why not put a 5A fuse in THAT and simply solder a bit of fusewire across the one that's blown. I used to do that a lot in the past. Or even drill out te end caps of the blown fuse and solder a new bit of fusewire in.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You really do need to get the rating right. Other posters have said what to look for.

Do you have a decent magnifier? Or a camera with a good macro facility?

Reply to
Fredxxx

One option: Run motor at full load & measure current. See how long it takes to start getting too hot. Look up fuse curve for chosen fuse family and pick one that pops within the right time to save the motor.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Well simple physics gives about 3 amps. Divide watts by volts.

Reply to
cl

Define 'full load'

An electric motor like that might take 5A to start, would stall at

10-15A and run at a couple of hundred mA if that, off load.

I bet its one of those faddy nutribollocks things. You know 'overpriced crap sold to gullible consumers, to replace the need to chew'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The fuse has blown violently, it is very likley it will just blow again if you just replace it. Pound to a pinch-of-shit, the bridge rectifier has gone short-circuit. It's that black rectangle on the left.

Reply to
Graham.

Possibly but the fuse should be cheap to replace and worth a punt, particularly as the machine was being asked to juice raw sweet potato at the time. Not the softest and juiciest of vegetables.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Well simple physics had already given me an answer. Trouble is, it doesn't seem to tally with what's on the fuse which could be 15, 5, 1.5 or even 7.5 amps depending on how you read it. The tops of all the numbers are slightly obscured so what looks a bit like a sloping 1 might actually be a

  1. Tim

Reply to
Tim+

If that is all there is, it's a remarkably simple PCB.

Reply to
Fredxxx