electric hobs

Am going to have to replace my electric hob unit. After looking at various types I am now confused by all the different types. They are described as. ceramic, highlight, hyperspeed, halogen , radiant, etc. Can anybody tell me the differance between these, or are some of them the same thing?

Reply to
Maurice Hood

In order of cost, cheap to expensive.

  1. Radiant ring - a spiral of heating element. Hard to clean. Medium responsiveness.
  2. Sealed plate - a matt black circle. Fairly easy to clean. Medium responsiveness.
  3. Ceramic - heating element under glass top. Very easy to clean. Slow responsiveness.
  4. Halogen - light bulb under glass top. Very easy to clean. Slow responsiveness. (Don't be fooled by the light bulb, it takes ages for the heat to come through or stop)
  5. Induction - uses magnetic fields. Very easy to clean. Only works on some pans. Extremely responsive (i.e. similar to gas).

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

We've just moved house, leaving behind our induction hob. We now have gas. I *hate* it. I want my induction hob back.

Reply to
Grunff

Induction hobs - do you have to be careful about other metal objects close to a ring that's turned on? e.g. jewelery/finger rings, metal pins holding ya bones together, metal spatulas in pans etc.

Are cast iron pans good with induction hobs?

Reply to
dom

In theory yes, in practice no. The coil is a pancake, and the field is very localised.

I've not used them, but I know people who do.

Reply to
Grunff

a couple of years ago.

There is absolutely the best hob we have ever owned/used.

Clean, safe, no condensation, controllable, economical (compared to radiant hobs).

The only drawback is the relatively limited availability/choice of steel/iron cookware.

David

Reply to
vortex2

That's the problem we found. You certainly can't be fussy about style or design.

Just carry a magnet in your pocket when hunting for pots.

Many of the ones the "sales assistants" suggested were suitable either had only a magnetic base, or were not what I'd call magnetic.

Reply to
PeTe33

If a magnet stuck to the base, then they will be fine, or am I missing something here!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

It would work, but I was under the impression it was better if the whole pan was magnetic so the pan heated up as a whole rather than just the base heating up through induction and the sides then heating up by conduction which sort of defeats some of the benefits.

Of course I may be wrong....

Reply to
PeTe33

I think you might be :-)

As the pan needs to be (on my hob) less then 1cm away from the hob, I doubt the magnetic field reaches very far, the heat will conduct through the metal really well (Just try holding a copper pipe while heating it with a blow lamp!) Anyway, if the sides were at 90 degrees to the base (or there abouts), then I can't see them getting heated very effectively anyway, even with other types of hob!

Reply to
Sparks