Electric heating

I was at our daughters yesterday and she asked me a question that I could not answer. She is on Economy 7 with storage heaters and she wants to know that if she got panel heaters would she spend less on electricity.

She works between dropping off her daughters until picking them up from school, so there is no requirement for heating during the day except Sat/Sun.

I will be back down there next weekend to do some calcs and discus it with her.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

She might it depends how she controls the heaters. If she religiously shuts them down in the morning and opens them back up in the evening then she probably wouldn't. If, as most people do, just lets them get on with it and they are cold and the house getting noticeably cool in the late evening she might.

And it's not quite a simple as just turning off all the storeage heaters and using panel heaters as the E7 day rate cost is higher than a normal tarrif rate.

One could run a trail over say a week and take meter readings each day then sit down with a calculator and tarrif sheets. But remember space heating in the winter is the one you have to worry about not late spring/summer. If she has old bills you may be able to get an idea of the amount energy used in the winter but if she is the "let them get on with it" type then that won't really be indicative of the energy required heating morning/evenings only.

See the "Storage heaters" thread as well.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks for the response Dave. I've printed this out and I will take it with me when I take the g children back next weekend.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

If you use storages but just let the heat out at the times you need it, just like the panel heaters, then storages will cost almost half as much as panels. Its why storage heaters on E7 are used.

NT

Reply to
meow2222