Electric Combi Boiler

Hi all,

I currently run a Ferroli Modena 80 E combi boiler from two x 47kg propane tanks (no mains gas out here!) This is my second winter in the property and it is bloody pricey!! I get through a tank in approx 9 -

10 days and they are =A362. I did toy with the idea of installing a large tank last spring. This could have reduced my costs by around 30 - 50%.

However, with gas prices on the up all the while, should I consider an electric combi boiler? I am not that knowledgeable in this area, and didn't know they existed until yesterday! Would it just replace the existing unit (i.e., no change to radiators and piping). I gather it no longer needs the flue and they are much smaller.

Are they cheap, and more importantly, cheaper to run? From the Calor FAQ's, they suggest a 47kg tank offers 644 kwh. Given the cost of the tank, this equates to 9.6p / kwh.

Any help would be greatfully received!!

Thanks, Mat G Birmingham, UK

Reply to
djmg2

I currently run a Ferroli Modena 80 E combi boiler from two x 47kg propane tanks (no mains gas out here!) This is my second winter in the property and it is bloody pricey!! I get through a tank in approx 9 -

10 days and they are £62. I did toy with the idea of installing a large tank last spring. This could have reduced my costs by around 30 - 50%.

However, with gas prices on the up all the while, should I consider an electric combi boiler? I am not that knowledgeable in this area, and didn't know they existed until yesterday! Would it just replace the existing unit (i.e., no change to radiators and piping). I gather it no longer needs the flue and they are much smaller.

Are they cheap, and more importantly, cheaper to run? From the Calor FAQ's, they suggest a 47kg tank offers 644 kwh. Given the cost of the tank, this equates to 9.6p / kwh.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

No flue or gas supply needed, generally much smaller, however, you'll need a mains supply..

The pipework will need some re-jigging...one that I installed also needed an external pump and automatic bleed valves but was *very* simple to install.

When I last checked they were more expensive than mains gas.

sponix

Reply to
Sponix

Here's a graph detailing running costs of the Amptec boiler (Which I'm familiar with):

also do electric boilers which, I believe, are available to order in larger B&Q stores.

sponix

Reply to
Sponix

Thanks for all your comments. They were very useful. The electroheatplc link was very good.

Cheers, Mat

Reply to
djmg2