"electric" central system

Sorry, but I've unintentionly mislead everybody. Closer inspection of the hopper shows that there is indeed a plastic waste pipe hidden by the two copper pipes that extend beyond it and then bend into the hopper. However, this does beg the question of what their purpose is. I really don't fancy the idea of one of them being a pressure release conduit. Any ideas?

Reply to
orakle999

One almost certainly is from a pressure relief valve, the other may be from an expansion valve or possibly an overflow. Typically they go together and then into a tundish, but could have been plumbed separately.

Here's an illustration of typical plumbing arrangement and the rules for a pressurised cylinder

you feel that the arrangement is not in accordance with building regulations, then you could discuss it with the neighbour, the installer or with building control at the local authority.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thanks for that Andy. I've glanced through the article and am more than a little worried. The bath water empties into a metal hopper down a pipe and out from a shoe positioned above a grid. Much of the discharge would end up on he drive and is only prevented from doing so by a piece of plastic placed over the grid and held in place by a couple of bricks which in itself I feel is unsatisfactory. Now I read that discharges from the two copper pipes will consist of scalding water and steam. I can't believe that the current arrangement for dealing safely with any discharges is adequate.

Reply to
orakle999

Don't worry too much. By directing it near to a grating on a driveway, it is a lot safer than many installations. Where do you think the discharge could be more safely led, given that it must have an extremely reliable air break (i.e. can't be directed into a continuous sealed drainage system).

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

To be honest, if it means that I'm not going to be scalded I don't bloody well care where it goes. The arrangement at the moment can't safely cater for with the bath water discharging.

Reply to
orakle999

I also think you're over dramatising a bit... this is a safety feature only, and the chances of scalding water ever coming down that pipe are really, really remote (I won't say it's only a 'theoretical' risk, but that's the sort of level). Then consider how much water actually bounces out of the gully anyway, and multiply that by the likelihood of you being anywhere within range at the time it starts to emerge...

If the pipe emerged horizontally at head height onto your property (which would be illegal), I think you'd have a valid cause for concern.

Wouldn't one of the 3-quid gully covers I mentioned in my earlier post fit the bill, if you're really concerned?

David

Reply to
Lobster

I'm pretty certain using an open hopper for waste water is against regulations these days - and in any case bad practice as it's likely to get blocked with leaves, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sorry ignore me!; I've just re-read the bit where you said the copper pipe terminates in the hopper, high-up - I though you meant it terminated in the gully, ie at ground level. Have to say that doesn't sound ideal to me. I'd have sooner the plumber ran the copper down to the ground and had it vent there (assuming this pipe is indeed from the emergency pressure relief valve as we're all assuming). Better there than up above head height - and no particular need for it to end up in the gully either.

David

Reply to
Lobster