Electric cars still a bit shite

About six miles.

Convenience.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Precisely. With a 600+ mile range I can fill up at whatever town or city I stop in for the night.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Says a lot of modern society if they'd fail to get to work or school because their car won't go.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There will be road pricing long before that. Where you pay so much a mile travelled.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reduces the initial purchase price. I doubt the battery is easy to change. Likely too heavy as well.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If it is just a few vehicles that are taken out, then alternatives are often feasible - at the level of public transport, asking a friend, etc. But if you take a large town with a large proportion of electric vehicles, then that is much less likely to work. Our infrastructure is such that walking or cycling is often not viable.

Reply to
polygonum

Even on my fairly heavy Rover SD1 with a not particularly large petrol tank, there is a noticeable difference in performance (when just the driver on board) between a full and near empty tank.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Which means you are using only motorways when touring abroad?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I like this idea:

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

My LA has taken to putting road cones in front of them to stop that.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

My destinations are usually at least a couple of days' motorway travel away. Whether or not I use the car once there will depend upon the destination. Places like Vienna or Berlin are best seen on foot or using public transport. The Black Forest is somewhere to tour around.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

We already have road pricing of a sort. The further you drive, and the less efficient your car is, the more tax you pay on the fuel you use.

The only benefit from most of the proposals I've seen for road pricing would be a reduction in use of busy roads at peak times, which might save some road building.

Reply to
John Williamson

Really? Can't say I've noticed it on my bucket 'o bolts.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Quite. Plus a (possibly misplaced) concern about environmental issues. That's a cost that has a price some are willing to pay.

Reply to
RJH

Maybe it's where the weight is, unsettling the suspension? I would be surprised if such a lardy car's acceleration is affected much by 50-odd kg of fuel.

Me neither.

Reply to
RJH

It never really was. Towns exist because we have motorised transport.

remove that and towns die.

which is probably going to happen,

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

talk to the F1 boys..

My spridgets ran much faster without the toolkit in the boot. And on misty mornings with the mist in the air..as good as 100 octane petrol..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

er no, the less you drive and the more inefficient your car is the MORE tax you pay per mile.

A double whammy. Once on the fuel then on the car tax.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Germany and Italy are less than a days drive.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's pretty meaningless if you don't say where from.

Reply to
Mike Barnes