Electric cars .. Not all as Green as was reckoned;(..

And a DPF. Look it up. They're different devices that do different jobs.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

What you need is a car that runs on "happy thoughts". Or is that "fair dust"?

Reply to
ARW

... on the advice of my father, who said he preferred the Mustang. Still a Merlin though!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

About 10% of the population are deaf so drivers should never assume they have been heard, even using the horn.

Reply to
dennis

I didn't think bus drivers were likely to thump you.

Public transport produces most of the pollution IMO.

Reply to
dennis

should have been at Shuttleworth the other weekend. Both doing flypasts. Mustang whistles its gunports in high G manoeuvres .

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nah. Big E European trucks

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Per passenger mile, you're as wrong as it's possible to be, especially if you include trams and trains. The worst polluters per passenger mile are taxis.

Reply to
John Williamson

Thats unfair. Latvian tricks don't carry (legal) passengers at all!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Trams maybe as they tend not to be diesel. Trains smoke a lot except electric ones.

Do your passenger mile figures for buses include all the time they have no passengers? Its quite common for Greens to ignore the fact that public transport sometimes has no passengers and hence no passenger miles so you can ignore the pollution produced.

Reply to
dennis

Depends where you are. In Japan deaf people are not allowed to drive.

And some interesting information here:

polygonum

I'm including the pollution from the central power source, not just the local stuff. This is *much* lower in France, where they use a lot of nuclear power for transport. For a passenger travelling from Paris to their South coast, for example, it's 550 Kg of CO2 by air, about 220 per person by car with four passengers, 150 or so by bus and 50 by train, all assuming normal loadings, due to the train being powered by nuclear electricity. Paris city centre to Nice centre by train is actually quicker than flying, too, since they opened the new TGV line.

Yes. Break even as far as pollution goes with cars as normally used (i.e. one or two passengers) is at about a dozen passengers on average during the shift. Our buses easily exceed that. We could improve the figures by not running outside peak hours, but the council insist that we run services during the day and late in the evening for "social reasons". We don't get the full cost per pass holder journey, but the small amount we do get helps keep the service running. Apart from the pass revenue, all our services are run on a "customer pays all the costs" basis.

I'm not a "Green". I look at the figures (Especially the ones within my field of knowledge) without a deliberate bias.

Reply to
John Williamson

Tatty old Transits seem to be the worst for smoke around here. The local bus company replaced its entire fleet not too long ago.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I think that we should stick with standard IC engine sounds, preferably suited to the type of car. Pedestrians will be used to the sound and will automatically recognise that they need to watch out for a car whereas other sounds might not trigger the "check what's coming" response and sporty engine sounds will let them know that a vehicle may be accelerating quicker than average.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

At least the deaf are aware that they will not hear a vehicle approaching and will (hopefully) be more on the lookout whether driving or crossing the road, whereas the hearing will hear no normal vehicle noise with an electric vehicle and may not be as alert.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

How about the sound of an LE Velocette?

Terry Fields

Reply to
Terry Fields

Good one.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Anyone who doesn't turn to investigate the sound of a feckin' huge duck approaching really should stay indoors.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Such as whenb I'd love to get on a bus with no passengers that was in servi= ce of course. I;'ve been on a bus with as little as 3 passengers, it was a = night bus that went through stratford and leyton at the time it was the onl= y night bus that didn't go through central London. This was about 5:00am an= d the service was mainly used by dock workers, the service got cancelled ab= out 15 years ago.

=20

True, but how often does that actually happen percentage wise in the real w= orld?

Reply to
whisky-dave

of course. I;'ve been on a bus with as little as 3 passengers, it was a night bus that went through stratford and leyton at the time it was the only night bus that didn't go through central London. This was about 5:00am and the service was mainly used by dock workers, the service got cancelled about 15 years ago.

About 90% outside the rush hours

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher