Electric cars a step nearer mainstream?

You made that up.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

"Doctor Drivel" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Does it include all the replacement battery packs which would be required every few years on current battery chemistry? LiIon batteries die on age from manufacture, not on charge/discharge cycles. A 5yo LiIon laptop or mobile phone battery is useless.

Really...? Very, very few ICE vehicles are scrapped because of mechanical problems with the engine or transmission.

So why don't you drive round in a compressed-cardboard panelled milk float?

Indeed they did. Initially in the 1980s, with a fleet of electric AXs. Then they trialled it again in the '90s, with a fleet of electric Saxos.

Yet it's still not got past trials, and PSA have ceased production of the electric cars and vans they built for years.

Reply to
Adrian

Or a whole new industry will be born (as in the days of horses) where pre-charged 'staging' cars will be available for long distance travellers.

A company requiring staff to travel would simply have an account with them (instead of a fleet of company cars). Easy peasy.

Reply to
magwitch

No, but its pretty much a shape that isn't going to change and it has to go somewhere.

Reply to
dennis

It does.

Toyota guarantee their batteries 8 years with an expected life of 12. That is using now old technology.

Yes.

The lifetime of these vehicles is short.

< snip idiotic drivel >
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

"dennis@home" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Under the floor, p'raps? Seems to be a popular place for battery packs. The designs seem to bear a remarkable similarity to the "sandwich" floor on the A-class Merc, where there's a short frontal impact zone, because the engine's designed to go under the car, between the floors.

Or plenty of larger people carriers which basically have the engine under the vehicle.

Reply to
Adrian

That's right! Hit him in the pocket and he will soon see sense.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Look at this companys motors:

Doctor Drivel

That's right! Hit him in the pocket and he will soon see sense.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Yes, that would work! Given enough brushes.

Which can be quite a significant torque.

Given my age (64) I think I have adequate excuse!

Brushed P.M. motors still constitute the bulk of the small motor market, so is where the bulk of controller sales is!

I cannot disagree!

Reply to
Richard Torrens

Furlongs per fortnight is a useful unit of speed.

Milliweek is a useful time!

Reply to
Richard Torrens

"Doctor Drivel" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

There's rather more to it than sheer cost, of course - else everybody would already be driving things like Smarts or C1s.

Reply to
Adrian

"Doctor Drivel" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

There's rather more to it than sheer cost, of course - else everybody would already be driving things like Smarts or C1s.

Reply to
Adrian

"Doctor Drivel" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

There's rather more to it than sheer cost, of course - else everybody would already be driving things like Smarts or C1s.

Reply to
Adrian

High current cells are optimally high surface area to volme= large and thin.

Best heat dissipation menas a small space between them and forced air cooling.

You end up with an under the whole floor block inside a crash cell as being the simple and easy way out. With some air ducts in and out.

Motors one per wheel is optimal: cheaper transitional designs probably between the wheels - front or rear - with a 2 speed gearbox and centrifugal clutch or torque converter. Thats how to take a motor not especially designed for the purpose an adapt it to a car not especally designed for the purpose either.

Motors can be pretty small and light. I've got a one bhp aircaft motor in my hand. Weighs about a half a pound. Not the latest or greatest either..modern is less than half that weight. So 50lb for a 100 bhp worst case. Easy to lift with one man.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Last time I did the sums,with what I knew I could buy, it was about £30k for the battery pack.

Thats still way too high by about 5:1

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Which is not how you do it properly.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Things have moved on and as you say, mass production will change all that.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

In message , at 12:49:00 on Wed, 4 Jun 2008, The Natural Philosopher remarked:

What with global warming, more rain and floods, how well does that configuration cope with driving through a foot of water?

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 12:02:17 on Wed,

4 Jun 2008, Doctor Drivel remarked:

No I didn't - someone posted a picture of one a week ago.

Reply to
Roland Perry