Electric cable

I am renovating my bathroom and have removed the old plasterboard to reveal electric cables that were connected to wall lights and the shaver socket. As I don't intend to have wall lights or a shaver socket I have put insulation tape on the exposed wires and want to put up new plasterboard and tile over it. My question is - is it okay to leave the cables behind the plasterboard unused or should they be removed? many thanks for any help you can give.

Reply to
Patrick

Please, please disconnect the other end. I hate finding live cables in the wall - especially those that have taken to burning through.

Reply to
G&M

Preferably trace them back to source and remove. If this is an impossible job, rather than tape them, terminate in a junction box screwed to a wall stud and label the box as to what has been terminated in it.

GreaseApe

Reply to
GreaseApe

Insulating tape will eventually fall off, so please disconnect the wiring from its source before you blow things up or cause a fire.

Reply to
BigWallop

In message , G&M writes

Having survived shorting live mains wires (kindly left by the previous owner) while patching a hole with ~filla while crouching atop a kitchen unit at ceiling height I'd like to second, third, fourth and fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth this!!!

Reply to
stejonda_privacy

Shaver sockets are useful for more than just shavers - many electric toothbrush chargers connect to them as well. Future users of the bathroom might be grateful if you install a new socket...

Reply to
Jeremy Collins

They can be left in place, but you really should disconnect the cables at the far end. Wrapping the end of a live cable in insulation tape (which will eventually fall off) is not sufficient.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Insulting tape will fall off. If you must terminate the cable, use a couple of layers of heat-shrink sleeving, or maybe hotmelt glue, or both (hotmelt on the wire then shrink sleeving over it)

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Definately disconnected. If left live and less the 50mm behind the front face of the wall the regs are being broken unless you leave a visible fitting in the appropiate place(s)...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

When I said "really should", I meant "must".

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Hmm - perhaps my previous owner did up your house before he went on to mine. I know it can't be after because he DIY'ed himself an early grave. The moral of this story is :

Please don't dodge things - you give DIYers a bad name. In fact do it more professionally than the professionals.

Reply to
G&M