Electric Blankets

Naah. Believe me, it's fine.

Reply to
Huge

>>> We have twin mattresses in one box base. The illustrated problem cannot occur. >

The former. It's German, although came from John Lewis. It's also 6'6" long and 6' wide. Or rather, I assume it's the metric equivalent.

TBH, I'm not sure.

It needs replacing - despite having had a number of new mattresses and a new bedhead, it's about had it after ~30 years. I'm dreading trying to find an equivalent.

Reply to
Huge

I have not used an electric blanket since I was a child. I hated them.

Reply to
ARW

I'm pretty sure that you can buy king-size matresses with different springing on each side and joinable duvets so you can have two independent Tog ratings too.

Incidentally, you've reminded me of a trip to Paris with my then girlfriend (now wife) where we'd booked a double room and ended up with a twin and there were no doubles available. We pushed the beds together each night, but they kept moving apart, so we ended up using my belt and a strap from a bag to fasten the bed legs together.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

IIRC a double is 4'6", a queen size is 5' and a king-size 5'6". Singles are 2'6" or more commonly 3' these days, so maybe two 2'6" matresses in a queen size or one 2'6" and one 3' in a king-size.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

No, the queen size is larger than the king size.

Single 36" x 75" Double 54" x 75" King 60" x 78" Queen 72" x 78" Three Quarter 48" x 75"

Well thats what the hand written notes in the back of my OSG say:-)

Adam

Reply to
ARW

Turn it the other way round? You would lose any extra heat that may normally be provided in the foot area and it'd be no good for a fitted type as your feet would be past the heated area (unless you are short like my wife!)

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

No, no, this is no use! I quite agree that your own body heat is fine with a decent duvet, but if we didn't have an electric blanket to pre-warm my wife's side of the bed, I would be liable to be assaulted by my wife's freezing feet when she got in - I am entirely convinced that she has no circulation at all!

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

So long as they're rubber, and not one of the stone jars with the plug on the side that I always used to get when visiting grandparents :-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

This.

Your wife and mine obviously share common ancestors. No amount of duvets, quilts, blankets, etc. keep my wife warm. I've resorted to sticking a fan-heater under the duvets on occasion when she complains really loudly. She's asked for one for years and there's only so much putting-off I can do - hence one with independant sides.

I had them when growing up - in the middle of scotland in a house with no central heating... Rather liked them then...

However no real suggestions here - going to have to rely on amazon reviews, etc... I'll let you all know what I end up with..

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

En el artículo , Jules Richardson escribió:

I collect those. ~200 at last count :-)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

My partner used to have incredibly cold feet. And generally poor cold tolerance.

Now she has been diagnosed hypothyroid, has been taking replacement thyroid hormone for years now, and is, in that regard, fairly normal now. Hindsight strongly suggests that she had been low on thyroid hormones for many years.

For anyone who is extremely cold intolerant and/or has extremely cold feet, I recommend checking out this possibility. Failure to treat appropriately can cause much damage.

Reply to
polygonum

The last thing I want is a joinable duvet. All the bedding ends up wrapped around my wife and I freeze my arse off.

Reply to
Huge

You said it - basically the position of the heating element within the blanket precluded turning it round, otherwise we'd have certainly done it!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Every electric blanket I've bought has cautioned against lying on top of a live one. You're supposed to turn them off when you get in.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

There are electric overblankets. My parents had one nearly 50 years ago. Made by Monogram AFAIR.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I must confess that in the coldest weather I leave my eclectic (under)blunkett turned on overnight. I don't tend to wet the bed and normally when I'm in bed the stat (it would appear) has the blunkett in a turned-off state most of the time.

The bed legs are insulated :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

En el artículo , Frank Erskine escribió:

You might not wet the bed, but your guide dog might.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Lobster escribió:

Turn it over, so the lump is underneath and there's a flat bit on top. 'tis what I do.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Our current one (an underblanket) doesn't - the instructions advocate keeping it on all night (we don't)

David

Reply to
Lobster