Electric Bell wiring?

Can anybody help me on this. I have a rather old electric bell in my house, and I want to buy and put up another bell outside so I can hear it when I am in the garden. Is it a case of just removing the back of the original inserting an extension (bell wire) and running it to a new bell ouside. Will both then ring whwen the button is pressed ? Thanks

Reply to
sndevereux

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 00:22:29 -0800 (PST) someone who may be " snipped-for-privacy@pensbyboys.wirral.sch.uk" wrote this:-

Possibly, possibly not.

A "traditional electric bell" has a mechanism so that when the hammer hits the bell that breaks the circuit and the hammer then moves away from the bell, to then complete the circuit again and so on.

If the bells are wired in parallel then they should both sound, though somewhat discordantly. A more elegant approach is to defeat the mechanism on one of the bells and wire them in series. Obviously the voltage should be increased to do this, which may not be good for some illuminated pushes.

Reply to
David Hansen

Yoru circumstances might be different, please ignore this if they are, but if my neighbours did that I would be screaming after a day or two of their bells ringing in the gardens!

Have you thought of something like this:

?
Reply to
Rod

Assuming the original is mains operated it depends on whether the transformer is large enough to supply two bells - many aren't. Although you can sometimes get away with this by wiring the bells in series rather than parallel.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's describing a DC or universal bell. An AC only one doesn't need this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My MIL's battery operated doorbell has a little PCB in it, and polarity sensitive battery fitment. It still has the trembler contacts, though. So what's the electronic gubbins for? EMC suppression?

Reply to
Huge

Could well be. One without suppression produces a vast amount of RFI - although only really a problem for LF radio reception.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 09:49:06 +0000 (GMT) someone who may be "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote this:-

Indeed. Items which might be described as a "rather old electric bell" or "traditional electric bell".

Reply to
David Hansen

Perhaps something like:

suit?

As to extending the bell, yup it can be done, but like the others said, exactly what you need to do depends on what you have now.

Reply to
John Rumm

========================================= Not answering your question but a suggestion to avoid the need to upgrade your transformer. Since you're unlikely to need the outdoor bell all the time (e.g. at night) you might be able to fit a changeover switch to toggle between the indoor and outdoor bell so that only one can be used at a time. It depends on whether you need the indoor bell at the same time as the outdoor bell.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

You will need to know the voltage of the existing bell. You might be able to find a label on the transformer beside your fuse box. Try and find another bell unit with the same voltage as the transformer. Connect it to the existing bell. That should be enough to give you an extension bell unit.

If you find the existing bell is rattling more than it normally was, then make your connections into a loop between the two bells. You will need a small connector block to do this.

You have two original wires on the first bell. Remove one. Connect one new wire in its place. You have two loose wires, Connect them together.

But this shouldn't be needed if it is just an extension bell.

Reply to
BigWallop

If run from batteries. But I've got a pretty ancient one here which is AC only. Looks to be well pre WW2. Nice wood case.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Crikey - you must be very organised if you would remembered to do this every time you went into the garden. A bit like those who say to carry a wireless one around with you.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

========================================= Not really.

It's for those special times when I'm expecting a delivery which could arrive any time between 8 o'clock and 5 o'clock. Having just installed a new wired bell (transformer wired to 3 pin plug)to replace the third failed wireless one I was thinking along the same lines as the OP and I might actually get around to doing it.

As far as general visitors are concerned their visit is usually more important to them than to me so they have to be patient.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

A nice enhancement might be to latch (lock) the gate shut whenever the doorbell is activated. That would fix the Parcelforce and City Link drivers (who, as kids, used to train for their careers by ringing doorbells and running away)...

Reply to
Bob Eager

I like the train of thought ;-)

Might need a timeout on it for when you are away for a few days, be a shame to clog up the porch with dessicated delivery people!

Reply to
John Rumm

That's easy. You attach the spare wireless bell to the lawnmower or your gardening jacket or whatever.

Alternative is train the dog to come and find you whenever the doorbell rings.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Or just to bark loudly. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes. Annual holiday could be an interesting time. But the idea is there. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

Assuming the OP has a dog of course.

Reply to