electical supplies

I need to rewire some bits of my cellar. I want to use conduit so I can run power, phone and lan.

I think I'll be able to squeeze it all into 20mm, the question is where to get it, and the metal surface mount sockets? I was thinking about screwfit but I have a feeing it might be a lot cheaper elsewhere.

Also how does one join the conduit to the boxes? And what about junctions?

TIA

DavidD

It's not recommend to run data and voice cables with mains, should be at least 200mm apart when run in parallel.

Reply to
Dave Jones

Any electrical wholesaler, although you might need to order metal conduit as uPVC is more commonly used these days. However, if you think you can squeeze it into 20mm conduit, you will probably find you can't. Earthed galvanised steel trunking will providing shielding between power and signal cables, is easier to lay cables into and is much easier when you want to make changes later. You then only need to use conduit to connect individal outlets to the trunking.

For steel conduit, you hire a threading machine from a hire shop and cut screw threads on the tube. The powered ones require less effort, but the manual ones are cheaper to hire.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Not a good start, you need to keep the LAN and Phone segregated from the power by at least 2" along its length.

Screwfix are ok for conduit, but have a look at

as well.

If you use surface mount metal clad sockets and back boxes then there are knock outs in the box. You get threaded ends for the conduit that screw into the hole in the box and have a socket to accept the end of the conduit (Order code MT20FMA on page below).

are achieved with junction fittings oddly enough ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

> Junctions are achieved with junction fittings oddly enough ;-)

Thanks, thats helping, so I get some of these..

I need to make connections in them then I would need something like..

pointers to what I really need?

If I was not using conduit this would be easy!

Thanks

David

Reply to
DavidD

doubt that will fit in an inspection junction of a conduit. Having said that it is unusual to want or need to make connections in the conduit. Usually they would be made in the fixtures being supplied by the conduit.

Remeber that if you order the boxes then the lids, washers, and screws are separate items.

It is also much simpler to pull singles through conduit rather than T&E cable.

The issues are mainly mechanical though (i.e bending, fixing, and pulling wires through it). The rest should be much the same as any other method of wiring.

Reply to
John Rumm

"DavidD" wrote | I need to rewire some bits of my cellar. I want to use conduit so I can | run power, phone and lan. | I think I'll be able to squeeze it all into 20mm,

You can't "squeeze" cables into conduit at all. There are rules on the physical capacities of conduit and you should calculate, for every length of conduit, the unit capacity of the conduit and of the cables therein. You will also have to calculate any derating factor due to mounting method and grouping for the cables themselves.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 15:24:45 -0000, "DavidD" strung together this:

of fittings really.

Er, no. Try this page;

And this one;

And this one;

Alternatively, (and my preffered choice here), leave it well alone as you obviously haven't done any wiring before. It's not really something you should play with.

Reply to
Lurch

Thanks, I have done a lot of wiring before, just never using conduit. I like to understand things before I do them hence the questions.

DavidD