Elderly paint

Just discovered 3x5 litre Crown Trade emulsion and 2x5 litre Crown Stronghold exterior paint which must be around 12 years old, all unopened. Does such paint have a limited shelf life or is it likely to still be sound enough to use?

Reply to
rbel

Emulsion: if its still liquid and not mouldy, it'll be fine. I'm not famililar with the other one

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Can't make a definitive statement but if it is still liquid, or usable jell, and you can mix it I would use it unless it was somewhere that is difficult to get to to paint. Try a little and see how it goes on and how it sets.

Reply to
Old Codger

If it's convenient, before trying it take it to your local Crown Decorator Centre and ask them if they'll shake it for you. That'll save you trying to do it by hand.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Many thanks for all the advice, I will keep it. I need to use the Stronghold in the not too distant future, as for the emulsion I have just realised that it is magnolia which we have not used for a long time.

Reply to
rbel

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember rbel saying something like:

I found a couple of similar tins, one of gloss, one of emulsion, both around the same age as yours. The emulsion was fine, and the gloss was no longer a gel, but went on fine anyway. Both haven't peeled or fallen off yet.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Distemper's as good as new after half a century, if the formula's ok to begin with.

NT

Reply to
Tabby