"Eggshell" paint

Why? Am I the only one in the world that hates "eggshell" paint on door frames and skirting boards etc? To me it looks like everything's been left undercoated and un-finished. Give me a good white gloss that can be wiped clean and easily dusted any day of the year.

And on that note, have a great weekend. :)

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Satin and eggshell are different paints. Seven years since I stopped selling paint I'm not sure why but probably satin is/was oil based and eggshell is/was water based.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Oil-based eggshell was common enough back in the 1960s - well before modern era water-based paints (other than the emulsions of the day).

I think, but cannot be sure, that the satin name has usually been applied to water-based paints.

Reply to
polygonum

wrong way round, I think. Eggshell has been around long before we started getting acrylic paints. The shell Eggshell paint I have says wash brushes in white spirit which impies its oil based.

Reply to
charles

I've noticed the sheds sell two types of eggshell now. One that is marked high voc and the tin says for woodwork but also a low voc, water based one that says it is for walls.

I read here that eggshell is hardwearing and recommended for kitchens. I presume that's the solvent-based one. Is the water based one any good or is it just as bad as water based gloss? Is there any reason (apart from the smell) not to use the solvented one on walls?

TIA

Reply to
Fred

replying to Fred, Cathi howell wrote: actually eggshell and satin, are types of sheen that can be either oil or water based, the binder content in the paint its self determins the sheen, the more binder the more shine it has. and subsequently the more durable your paint will be, and actually satin paint has as much binder as a semi gloss, but it has particles mixed in with the pigment that defract light and make it appear less shiny.

Reply to
Cathi howell

Is Fred still alive, 6 years on from his original post ?

Reply to
Andrew