Edging strips for chipboard

I have to cut a kitchen base unit down to size and the cut edges are going to show in places. Does anyone have any good tips for hiding them? are there strips that you can buy to slide over them?

Thanks

Reply to
Rednadnerb

Get some matching iron on edging. Iron it on and once cool, pare the edge with a sharp wide chisel to leave a flush finish (or use a flush trim bit in a router)

Reply to
John Rumm

I have come across self adhesive edgeing strips - can't recall where, but they are about.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You can also usually get strips - or rolls - of Formica to match the top surface. These usually have to be stuck on with impact adhesive, and then trimmed flush.

Alternatively, you can get metal strips which screw onto the ends. These are curved at the end to follow the nose of the worktop, and usually have a very small lip at the top which hides any small imperfections in the cut.

Incidentally, if cutting the tops with a hand-held circular saw, do it face downwards, starting from the nose side and use a fine blade. Clamp a batten across the surface to act as a guide for the saw.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Known in the kitchen fitting trade as "salmonella strips" ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

I think the OP is saying he has cut the UNIT (carcase) to size not the worktop. If your cut is good and flat you can get iron on edging as others have said but the edge does need to be good for them to stick properly.

HTH

John

Reply to
John

Really? Mine are white rather than pink!

Reply to
Roger Mills

B&Q sell these strips - you'll find them next to the "conti-board".

Mark.

Reply to
mark.hannah