EDF don't make sense

Yes. Just because you've never heard of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It has existed for decades.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , at 13:47:01 on Fri, 1 Nov 2013, Gefreiter Krueger remarked:

Incorrect. I have an energy DD that pays quarterly in arrears.

And my energy company, repeat ENERGY COMPANY, does that (as well as my phone company; I pay the water company six monthly in arrears by cheque).

Reply to
Roland Perry

It isn't used by many, and I can't think why you would.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

In message , at 14:11:16 on Fri, 1 Nov 2013, Gefreiter Krueger remarked:

I've been paying this way for years.

Well, you owe the energy company the three month bill for about a fortnight, and they only tell you how much they are going to extract from your account about a week in advance.

But they are in good company, one of my charge cards just gave me only 5 days notice of the DD for this month's bill [last month's spending] (if I was feeling generous I might assume the bill was delayed because of the weather problems earlier in the week).

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 14:19:24 on Fri, 1 Nov 2013, Gefreiter Krueger remarked:

Because you get a discount (the energy company gets its money quickly and reliably) and because you don't want the faff of having to mail them a cheque.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Surely that gives you uneven payments, as most people get their salary every month.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

In message , at 14:34:12 on Fri, 1 Nov 2013, Gefreiter Krueger remarked:

I'm self employed. Most other outgoings vary from month to month, so why is energy special?

Reply to
Roland Perry

That may be so, but your sweeping statement is still very wrong.

Reply to
Bob Eager

This year right now electricl consumption is almost 10GW less than the same time last year.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Quite right. Reading the meter once a month and charting it gives quite a nice view of usage. I can see where the overnight usage went up a bit due to using the immersion instead of oil for the hot water.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I pay monthly in arrears by DD, which seems to be the cheapest method. They adjust the monthly payment up and down occasionally to bring it into balance.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In message , at 15:27:28 on Fri, 1 Nov 2013, Tim Streater remarked:

The same sum each month, or do you phone in readings?

But not to exactly match each month's consumption?

Reply to
Roland Perry

Having reviewed your account, we've noticed that you've paid for more than you've used with your monthly payments of 74.00. We'll refund 116.35 to your account on or around 5 Nov 13.

Based on our projections of your future usage at the price on your tariff, we've flattened your payments with a new Direct Debit amount at 80.00, starting on 16 Dec 13.

Is it just me or do those contradict each other? Am I using more or less? Why am I now paying a bigger amount each month AND they're refunding me money? What the f*ck?

It's because they're French.

mark

Reply to
mark

I get both of those things with the monthly one, plus I know exactly how much it will be.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Because two zeros then a triple is a big variation.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

That's what I'm doing. The adjustments however are very odd. As I said above they're charging me more and refunding me at the same time.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

They normally take consumption over the previous 12 months, multiply it by the rate(s) set by the tariff, add any standing charge, add the VAT and divide by 12. My spreadsheet does similar but can be over a longer period and uses real meter readings. Generally what I think I ought to pay 'em is more or less what they ask for.

And 3 1/2 of those pages is made up of information that you don't need. Like complaints procedures, excessive contact information, goverment enforced bill breakdown bullshit, etc etc. All the important information would fit on a single side of A4.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Mine got more complicated as they decided as I owed them so much they'd call that a repayment plan and add that onto the bill seperately. Some bits of the bill include it, others don't, so it's impossible to see what they're doing!

And yet the government are supposed to be soon forcing them to make the bills simpler?

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

system

Yeersss, odd that sales are free to call, "customer service" requires a chargeable call, complaints an arm...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice