EDF 3 phase connection

Has anyone recently had a three phase electrical supply installed by EDF and if so what did they charge you?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

it wasn't recent and it was eastern electric, but my three phase augmentation to a domestic house cost 350 quid, the phases were easy to get at in the road, it took about twelve men and 6 vehicles and a day to complete, this was in 1982 or so, when 350 was a couple of weeks of well paid work or a months mortgage payment, so today it would be a grand I reckon.

Reply to
mrcheerful

That really is the 'How long is a piece of string?' question. The cost will depend on *many* factors, like whether there is three phase readily available in the vicinity, if there is there a road crossing involved, how much permanent reinstatement is required, the load that you want to connect, et al.

I'd be very surprised if you'd get a 3 phase 100a supply for less than two or three grand these days, could be significantly more if you want to connect a load in excess of a nominal 75kva, or there is insufficient capacity in the local network.

Reply to
The Wanderer

involved, how

insufficient

Thank - there is 3 phase passing by the house in the road. The load is

100KW so at 0.8 pf thats 125 kva - currently I'm using a 100Kw generator and am trying to keep the noise down !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

If you can persuade them that your requirements are high enough (which it sounds like they are) they will augment for nothing, my brother got his done like that, as he had a farm premises they accepted that he was likely to use a lot and put it in for free!! In actual fact I used more than he did !! (yet I had to pay!!)

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Well, you don't sound like a domestic customer, and that had been my first (incorrect) assumption - that you were enquiring about a three phase supply for garage or home workshop!

I don't know what the current arrangements are for providing large power supplies, I've been out of the industry for several years.

Allowances were set off against the overall cost of providing commercial or industrial supplies, based on the likely use of kWHs and also the maximum demand. This was on the basis that the companies would recoup some of their capital expenditure on the energy sold.

The higher the KWH useage and the lower the demand, the more favourable these allowances tended to be. In other words, if you have a continuous process running, the allowances would be more favourable than occasional high demands without much KWH useage, IYSWIM.

Unfortunately, I don't know how the present arrangements where your energy supplier may not be the owner of the 'wires' impinges on this arrangement. There are one or two other regular posters who are still in the supply industry who may be able to shed more light.

Bear in mind also that whilst there may be a 3ph distribution cable in the road, that may not be able to accept an additional 100/150 kva of demand. There may well be a significant amount of reinforcement required, particularly if your load is 'dirty', i.e. with several large motors or welding equipment. The overall cost could be several tens of thousands, but that is a worst case scenario.

Answering snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

How recently was this? I can't offer any comment as you've given no information about your circumstances.

Reply to
The Wanderer

message

installed

readily

commercial or

favourable

continuous

occasional

arrangement.

supply

thousands, but

No you are right, it doesn't 'sound' like domestic but actually it is - it is entirely hobby use of an induction furnace that may run once or twice a month for perhaps 30 minutes.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Ah, for perhaps an hour's use per month, that's gonna cost you a *lot* of money for that supply. My guesstimate would definitely be in the tens of thousands.......

Sorry I couldn't be more optimistic. :-(

Reply to
The Wanderer

I've seen a number of your posts about your generator. Have you worked out the other costs of using it, non fuel consumables, wear and tear etc?

AJH

Reply to
AJH

worked

Well, fuel is about 20 litres of red untaxed diesel (tops) per hour when at full load. Oil change every 200 hours (3 gallons plus filter) but in last twelve months its done only 9 hours. Capital cost perhaps £3K (good old ebay) so amortise over 10 years at current rate = £300 per annum (or if buying an ex-rental with guarantee then £7K = £700 per annum. But realistically at the current usage this one will probably see me out barring accidents. Although I have had no complaints about noise it is on my concience - sounds like a bus engine at a very fast tickover (1500 rpm) and I'm measuring 87bBA at 1 metre

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

As others have mentioned, this may well be outside the realms of guesswork.

Without knowing what the network is like in the area i.e. can it actually support the additional load without other works such as replacing a pole mounted transformer if you're semi-rural, beefing up or interconnecting the LV to support the additional load, a guesstimate at a price would just be just that.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Perhaps spending the money on an accoustic enclosure or some extra baffling would be more cost effective?

Reply to
John Rumm

John,

It was 95dbA @ 1 metre before I lined it with several hundred pounds worth of accoustic foam / lead foil sandwich intended for ships engine rooms !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Ah ok, you didn't mention that!

Offer to buy double glazing for the neighbours then, might still be cheaper than getting a 125kVA supply in ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

There are some generator boxes on eBay ATM:

cheap and rather more than you want. Still if the don't sell...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

pounds

snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com

Yes I saw those, but they are actually not big enough to get the gubbins in. (Although they are Aggreko, which is the make of my genny, and a good pedigree)

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

In message , Colin Wilson writes

I was a bit nervous about connecting up the supply to my mobile grain drier (around 15hp on star/delta) so asked the company for their comments. An idea of their system knowledge can be gained from their request for me to walk up the lane and tell them the rating on the supply transformer!

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb