eco-barge from C4's "Grand Designs" last night.

yikes!

it was a very nice idea, but with a somewhat flawed execution.

Reply to
google2001

Hah ! Mr Mcloud was having a right barney with the bloke near the end, saying sarky things like "you could have tried that well-known concept called 'design'" etc. The thing was so ugly no mooring would have it. I hope they got everything sorted out, since we never got to find out. I wonder if such a home is a good investment - cant see it myself. I also wondered what the building regs are for house-boats. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

If you want to live in a Nissen hut on a mudflat, anyhow.

The first GD that I wouldn't live in for all the tea in China.

Reply to
Huge

There aren't any. That point was made repeatedly in the programme.

Reply to
Huge

If I'd spent £80k, and all I had to show for it was that thing, I would have been so pissed off (with myself).

Reply to
Grunff

Actually I think despite all odds, the fundamental 'design' turned out suprisingly elegant. Okay some of those windows were just ridiculous, and the process was laughable. But put next to some tired green GRP motor cruiser thingy, its grandeur was in another league. So I don't really understand the mariner's objections, other than conservatism in perhaps the more salubrious ones.

Reply to
visionset

well-known

grandeur was

I may have misunderstood (others talking in the room at the time!!), but wasn't the 'marina' owner complaining that the barge was damaging his jetty? My first reaction when I saw the height of the aluminium cladding 'steeple', was that it would be dangerous in a high wind - a huge area at a significant height. Perhaps it was banging it into the piles when the wind blew a tad strong and it heeled over.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Yes that was his complaint. Unfortunately no further details were given although your suggestion occurred to me as well. He may, of course, with his professed aversion to rules etc, pissed the bloke off in some other way and that was an excuse. They did strike my as the sort of couple it would either be brilliant to have next door, or appalling!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Looking at it I wondered what he would be able to get for it in, say, 5 years time. It really didn't look like a good capital investment at all.

Reply to
Tony Williams

I thought he fell out with the original marina owner because his new builder committed the cardinal sin of moving someone else's houseboat without any permission.

Reply to
Tony Williams

Or the other "residents" were leaning on him to get shot of the "eyesore".

Reply to
John Rumm

Well no guesses to where the concept came from hey! it was all Lucy Lous idea,after all thats what some chinese live on don't they...Junk :-)

Reply to
George

He did but this bit of the thread was about eviction from the place he then went.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

This statement needs to tempered with the estate Agent's favourite mantra;- location, location. location. Some 'authorities' such as those in charge of the non-tidal Thanes have very strict regulations. Particularly those regulations concerning sewage.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Not that I'd want to live in a floating Nissan hut on a mudbank, anyway. Have you smelt a mudbank in high summer?

Reply to
Huge

Aye, a Nissen hut would have been bad enough but a hut made in Japan.... :o)

Reply to
Bob Mannix

B*gg*r. I did a quick Google to check, but it would appear that half the world doesn't know how to spell it either.

Reply to
Huge

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Andrew Mawson" saying something like:

It struck me that the high sail area of that entrance tower would make manoeuvrubg interesting in windy conditions.

I'd imagine any yard owner would object to something banging into his piles.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Yep: roughly twice a day .... at low tides +/- 4 hours.

The exposed sea/river bed at Littlehampton is particularly 'pungent'.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

In article , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

Since the thing was un-powered, I doubt that they intend to move it very often (mooring owners may have other ideas).

I did wonder if they applied the same approach to their work.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson