Ebuyer

I'll try and answer all the questions raised via this one answer. First of all, I was not asked for any Visa verification apart from the usual 3 digit code on the back of the card. Secondly, the delivery address is the same as the account address. Thirdly, unless my address has been used fraudulently - as suggested - it is not blacklisted in any way. I have never had any bad debts, or have my bank cards been refused in any way.

I was going to ring Ebuyer this morning but they use a premium rate number for Customer Services, so I've sent them an 'Enote' instead. I'll report back here when I get an answer.

One final thing: this was my first order from them - and possibly my last - and they did ask me to email the requested extra security details to snipped-for-privacy@ebuyer.com - which is the address listed on their website, so it would appear to be genuine.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

I wondered whether it builds up a profile of IP addresses that purchases come from. I too used to get it on every purchase but 99% of the time it goes straight through without need for password etc.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

I think you've had a lucky escape ;-)

I've always viewed them as the Ryanair of comp supplies, many people get on with them fine but a significant number hate them for the way they've been treated/manipulated when something has gone wrong.

Isn't one of their tricks dynamic pricing (interest goes up and the price goes up)?

FWIW I've used Novatech for the bits on my recent comp builds, v happy with the service and the own brand cases are well priced and though out. No connection etc, etc.

Reply to
fred

Farmer Giles expressed precisely :

Are you sure its from Ebuyer? It sounds more like the seller is using the sale to collect your details to clone you for illicit purposes.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Someone used my parents name and address for fraud. we only found out when the bank letters asking for payment arrived. A couple of phone calls to the banks and the problem was resolved with a note attached to the credit file saying what had happened. At no point was there a problem getting credit or buying stuff.

The person responsible didn't even live in the same town and were caught and done.

Reply to
dennis

They look at your shopping habits and if you frequently use a store they can decide not to check.

Reply to
dennis

It appears to be genuine. I won't call them because they use premium rate numbers. However, I have emailed them - and received an acknowledgement that they will reply within two working days. I'll wait and see what happens before I condemn them completely, but so far they seem like a pretty dodgy outfit.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

Just received the following email from them:

"Thank you for contacting our Customer Support Team.

After looking into this further for you, I can see that you have been subjected to an I.D check. I can advise that this security check is done at random and can be requested on your first or twentieth order.

Unfortunately until we receive the information that has been requested we will unable to process any further orders.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience or annoyance caused.

Kind Regards,

Jennifer

Ebuyer.com Customer Support Team "

What a strange outfit! Ah well, I think I'll survive as easily without them as they will without me.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

Why on earth didn't you write a letter before action giving them 14 days to pay the 25%, and when they didn't pay, sue through moneyclaim online?

Reply to
Martin Bonner

In article , Farmer Giles scribeth thus

Very odd that. Dealt with them for many a year and no problems at all. We do sometimes have a debut credit card declined especially if its above a certain amount as an anti fraud issue but a quick call to the card co sorts that. Other suppliers have the same issue too so not a e- buyer issue.

Some times we have the "verified by visa" where you have to complete some part of a "password" but otherwise fine.

In fact they have sent us some "seconds" equipment at a very reduced price and its been fine like the monitor I have here:)..

I have known some other companies and outfits that do these days have enhanced security, but this seems a bit over the top to ask for passport details etc thats IMHO rather confidential info!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Some kind of double check on ID doesn't seems too unreasonable if they're getting a lot of fraud, but the stuff they were asking for seems so far over the top it's not even funny.

Trouble is...

If you look at this from Ebuyer's (rather silly) point of view, it looks a bit like this:

Someone attempts to make a purchase. Ebuyer queries buyer identity. 'Customer' refuses to cooperate & scurries off.

Ebuyer feels confident that their system has seen off another scammer so they're rather pleased with themselves.

In fact they've just pissed off a legitimate customer (and anyone who may read this thread) - but they're unlikely to see it that way.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Indeed! There's no way I would provide information like that to an Internet seller.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Yup - they need to recognise that trust and security work both ways.

Requesting biometric information (i.e. a digitized photo) seems pointless for what is and will always remain a non face to face relationship.

It also then means that the customer has to trust that the information provided will be stored and processed securely, and never used with anything other than benign intent. A trust that must extend to everyone with access to their systems both officially and illegally, both now and in the future - irrespective of business failure, acquisition or large scale hacking / industrial espionage. Its a big ask (and the reason that the old argument "if you have nothing to hide etc" is fatally flawed regardless of the circumstance.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes, but in this case Kay's suspected the transaction was fraudulent, and it was Kay's who contacted the reference agency and also me.

The person I spoke to was very professional and helpful, and warned me there would probably be a flag against my address for a while.

Reply to
Graham.

Purely random security checks make no sense in a commercial transaction. I don't believe them. Checks based on certain criteria make a lot of sense.

Its like the Boarder Agency going on record, as they have done, saying they don't profile passengers as they pass through. Of course they do, and a bloody good thing too.

Reply to
Graham.

Well they do, in the sense that they avoid the pitfalls of a profiled check. If you have a checking criteria, then the bad guys can learn it and how to avoid it. You can't learn to avoid a random check.

There is a key difference...

If you can setup a profile for an illegal immigrant, then its worth using it, since its not as if the immigrant can substitute someone else. If however you are screening for suicide bombers, then you are much better off without a profile. For example if you decide that single young men with beards are high risk, then all your terrorists need do, is recruit little old white haired ladies.

Reply to
John Rumm

Do they have any way of verifying the information provided. Scans of both utility bills and passports could easily be photoshoped. Would they even notice if you passport photo was of David Cameron?

Would any crime be committed if one were to supply false information to an Internet retailer?

Reply to
Andrew May

Why not phone eBuyer and ask them? Far more likely to get the answer than relying on speculation form a NG.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Why don't you try reading the whole thread?

And the only reason I posted here what had happened was to see if anyone else had had a similar experience.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

Plus there are plenty of sites on the web that will provide fake utility bills, bank statements, payslips and so on.

Reply to
Huge