Eaves ceiling and wall

Whilst stripping a plaster skim & 25mm browning wall under the ceiling eaves, I notice the bricks just beneath the eaves are arranged very differently. The bricks are a vertical soldier course of half bricks, with the frogs facing inwards creating a very thin wall. This is about

15" above the chrysotile roof soffit line, 1949 build.

What I find odd is the soldier course is not fixed by mortar. Instead the same plaster browning as that used underneath the plaster has been used, easily scraped out by a screwdriver, 95% sand in terms of no mechanical resilience.

Was it left to the plasterers to bring the brickwork up to the eaves?

Reply to
js.b1

Yes, that sounds like the mix - a very high proportion of sand.

Just interesting to see.

Reply to
js.b1