Easy DIY . Daily Mail Supplement

Well I'm well on my way to becoming an ace builder. I' reading the Daily Mail's *Easy DIY* Supplement. Which features the lovely Sarah Beany.

For instance: On oiling a door hinge. Says to use WD40 or Olive oil. NASA says WD40 is for water displacement 'not' lubrication. and Olive Oil degrades and becomes rancid, best to use Walnut oil, if you really can find an oil can. Who writes this stuff for the poor girl?

Reply to
P Jameson

olive sets into a tough very sticky rubber in a couple of years.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I've always thought use WD40 for freeing things that are stuck and 3 in 1 for keeping things moving. Olive oil was popeye's misses, :)

Reply to
whisky-dave

did you mean missus? But it's really for softening ear wax - until the foreign cooks came along.

Reply to
charles

I blame the Chinese. At one time every house would have a can of Singer sewing machine oil.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, actually though WD 40 is water displacing its remarkably good in locks and hinges and lasts quite well as long as you don't over do the spraying as some paints don't like it much. As for other oils, castor oil works well.

If you ask 20 diy folk you probably get at least ten answers! PS, I noticed the other day that you can now buy plastic hinges. Not much good in a fire, I'd have thought. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

There is some spray stuff called LDR something or other, and it seems good at both unsticking and lubricating, but it pongs something terrible. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I remember that every time you bought a Scalextric, or Triang train set you got a little bottle of sewing machine oil, usually branded Shell, with a little hollow tube of metal attached to a cork top in it for the purpose of keeping things spinning nicely. So small these were that when you needed it you could never find the damned things.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

WD40 will displace the grease leading to increase wear and earlier failure / seizure.

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

You appear to be assuming there *is* grease. This is not always the case, and I find a squirt of WD40 on the Land Rover hinges lasts as long as the official grease. I've now been doing this on the same hinges for a decade or two on a vehicle that is used every day.

Reply to
John Williamson

WD40 is both penetrating and lubricant.

Reply to
harryagain

WD40 is recommended by Yale.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

On 01/05/2014 16:13, Brian Gaff wrote: ...

You have been able to buy them for decades, but they are not approved for fire doors. If a typical house internal door gets hot enough in a fire to melt nylon, the door probably isn't going to last long anyway.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Who have no financial interest in locks needing to be replaced?

All too many "manufacturer of X recommends product Y" are without any sensible grounds whatsoever. Except, maybe, money.

Reply to
polygonum

WD works fine as a light lubricant, and being an aerosol can easily be sprayed into a locks innards.

Though most locks seems to go on fine for decades with no additoanl lubing

Reply to
chris French

Who have an interest in maintaining a reputation.

Are you suggesting that Yale would accept payment to recommend an unsuitable product?

WD40 is an excellent lubricant.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

What's wrong with using a 3B pencil? That graphite is the bees knees.

Reply to
ARW

It doesn't have to be a truly appalling product, just having no special qualities that might justify the recommendation. And quite possibly outperformed by other products.

Reply to
polygonum

I use a squirt of silicone spray furniture polish.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I just puff in some powdered graphite.