Easiets/cheapest way to get rid of garden waste?

Don't suppose you fancy moving in next door to my Mum?

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

It certainly is. Our green bin is food and garden waste - allows meat, etc. Mother's green bin appears to be paper, cans, possibly plastic?

Our cans bin one allows cans and non-glass bottles - but it is never clear if that is food-only (PET used for "soda pop"), or every sort including PE shampoo, etc. And what shapes are bottles allowed to be while still being bottles and not some other very similar container?

Reply to
polygonum

That's because they have recycling targets to meet. If they don't recycle a high enough percentage they get "fined". The green waste is easy and counts towards the target.

Reply to
dennis

My estate was used as a trial for the wheelie bins by the local council. So instead of weekly collections we got bigger bins (now we have 4) and fortnightly collections. The council very cleverly during the trial period decided that the garden waste bin collection would be dropped between November and Feburary and the normal waste would be collected weekly during that period. Of course when the wheelie bins were forced(1) onto the whole of the town then that never happened again:-)

(1) Some people need recycling forcing upon them - normal people seem to be OK with it

Reply to
ARW

Only if they have lost their marriage or birth certificates

Reply to
newshound

Council website?

(ours has the collection rota by street etc, and guidance on what goes in which bin)

Reply to
John Rumm

Our council produces quite a nice glossy A5 card to stick on the fridge

Reply to
newshound

Council website should reveal all you need to know.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Oh we're dead posh here... No grey bins round our way: we're told they're 'silver'. FFS...

Reply to
Lobster

Are these Council workers or Vogons that we are dealing with?

Reply to
ARW

More likely Ferengi impersonating council workers.

Reply to
Bill

Indeed. But not everyone's 91 year old mother has internet access. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

Ours looked quite smart until they helpfully stuck a big plastic instruction label to the top of each of them, explaining what they could take. Only problem is no one checked if the labels were UV safe, and the result was that after a few months of being outside they all started to craze and fall off in bits of tatty plastic. We are now down to about

2/10ths of a label on each bin!
Reply to
John Rumm

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I think ours reserve that right too, but the furthest they ever get is to ask for an address, and that's when you're dumping something more exotic, like a fridge. I'd just memorise the postcode and go for the blagging approach. Don't they flog/give garden waste to people who make compost? (though I always wonder where so much compost could end up being used!)

Reply to
GMM

The Ferengi are Star Treks pikeys.

Reply to
ARW

It's what smart phones were invented for. Get with the times daddy-o. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

So how does she meet new partners:-)?

Reply to
ARW

Not just with the times by my having a Galaxy S2 - but my 91 year old mother DOES have internet access and a lappie. But 3G is often unusable in that precise location - and I was in middle of backlog of updates on the lappie. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

I don't ask...

Reply to