Earthquake

It was the smaller of two large objects ...

no

Reply to
geoff

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

OK, we have a barbeque from time to time

Reply to
geoff

The message from "ARWadworth" contains these words:

Reply to
Roger

All this was just Two Jags making his way home.

Reply to
Andy Hall

=A0 London SW

Nothing in Wilts...although it may just have been masked by the sound of carrots being crunched.

Reply to
Lino expert

Tother way round. Soft stuff like clay behaves like a jelly when shaken and wobbles about all over the place. Bedrock just follows the shakes.

Roughly the same distance as you but built directly onto the solid rock here, nothing heard or felt...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , The Medway Handyman writes

:-)

A massive earthquake devastated most of Mexico City yesterday. Two million feared dead.

The world relief effort has sprung into action, Norway is sending rescue teams, Ireland is sending food, Great Britain is sending tents, Germany is sending medical aid and George Bush is sending 2 million replacement Mexicans. Someone

Reply to
somebody

Maxie, I am sure you have made the earth move many times.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

He is on a sink estate. That was his fellow Chavs pinching the lead off the roof.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Luckily no one would be interested in the flash banding on yours...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Interesting, but surely on bedrock the initial jolt would be felt more firmly but less of the after-shakes, since nothing is "wobbling". Unless the wobbles are due to wave-like reflections off something ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

An earthquake is waves, like the ripples spreading out from a stone thrown into water. So they do reflect/refract from the different densities of ground they travel through, thus they also produce interference patterns.

It's all very complicated, with several different forms of wave and tied in with resonances as well, one lump of clay might not wobble very much but another with a resonance mode at or near the frequency of the earthquake waves could wobble an awful lot. Also different places on the same lump may well have greatly different motions, due to standing waves.

There are reports of people seeing the "ripples" of an earthquake traveling across the surface of the ground, there might even be film of them some where.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I had a CD with such a film from Iceland, can't find it now though. It was easy to see on one of their roads, from being perfectly flat it was, well, rippled - but with half metre high/deep ripples. I took some pictures of that.

And holes.

The black top is very thin, there's no point in wasting it because it's always having to be replaced.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It did capture the shaking. Play it again.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

There's visual shaking but I didn't FEEL it :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message , Dave Liquorice writes

To get the most out of your wobble use a memory foam mattress.

I recognised it as an earthquake and could even tell the direction of the epicentre. I'm in Reading. Nobody here with a spring mattress even woke up.

Reply to
MadCow

In message , MadCow writes

In Reading ?

No they never do ...

Reply to
geoff

I suppose the only comfort you have living in Watford, is that you don't live in Reading...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Or Chatham ...

Reply to
geoff

Very true. The birthplace of the 'Chav'. Reading might be worse though........

:-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman