earthing of metal table lamp?

Hi,

My wife filched a table lamp from the in-laws' loft a while ago, and I was concerned that it only has twin-core wiring. The lamp stem is metal, with the cable running up the middle to a plastic fitting at the top.

I realise it would take a fairly drastic failure to get the live conductor in to contact with the metal base, but I don't know what the (modern) norm is regarding the earthing of metal parts in electrical appliances.

Is the fact that the actual fitting is plastic enough to warrant not earthing the metal base? I'm going to re-wire the lamp anyway, because the twin-core cable is, er, vintage, but I'd like to know whether there are regulations, or perhaps best practice, regarding the earthing of such lamps.

Cheers,

Reply to
rick H

I would replace plastic fitting with a brass one which has an earth connection , then rewire with 3 core making sure you have some cable restraint somewhere in the lamp.

Or if a suitable earthing point can be created on the lamp body - earth this and leave plastic fitting. Robert

Reply to
robert

That's a good idea, cheers.

That's what I'd planned on doing - I just wasn't sure if I was being paranoid.

Reply to
Rick H