Earthing for a Multiswitch

I'm considering using a (Triax 5 x 8) multiswitch to distribute TV/satellite round the house.

I've read that multiswitches must be earthed directly back to the CU. But I've also seen some comments that this isn't necessary for a normal domestic installation where power to the building is supplied on a single phase - which is my situation.

Can anyone give the current requirements? Thanks.

Reply to
Steve

Is Bill Wright in here?

I'd bond all the screens at the multiswitch with the appropiate earthing block. I may not take a proper bond from that all the way back to the CU supply earth, just use the CPC of the multiswitch supply assuming that was a direct feed from the CU or off a ring and fed with 2.5mm. If the multiswitch supply was of the lighting circuit I'd not use that CPC, it's lighter weight and not a ring.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Pretty certain this is only for communal systems in blocks of flats, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Steve has brought this to us :

I would guess that earthing via the mains supply, from the socket it is supplied from would be perfectly adequate for the purpose.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 15:25:04 -0000 someone who may be "Steve" wrote this:-

Antiference have a good reputation, for example . See for further details.

A television aerial connected to a lead which runs down the side of a house and through a window frame to a socket or flying lead is a somewhat different proposition to a distribution system with cables snaking to most rooms in the house, various aerials/dishes and a powered amplifier. There is also the question of what the situation is when part of the distribution system is removed, particularly in a block of flats.

In a block of flats the cables should be earthed. As well as protecting occupants this also protects the distribution system installer from dodgy wiring in flats. That means using an earthing bar or something like . Remove the multiswitch, or other part of the system and earthing is still provided.

In a single house the issue is less clear cut. I'm not convinced earthing bars and the like are necessary, but proper earthing is. There is usually an earthing terminal on the multiswitch. I largely agree with the other posting on what this should be connected to.

Reply to
David Hansen

Thanks chaps. I'll just use the mains CPC. Steve.

Reply to
Steve