Earthing exterior lights

Hi,

I replaced some external lights yesterday, the usual black lantern type. Anyway, when I was trying to fit one, the corroded earth wire coming from the wall snapped off completely. The instructions for the lights say they must be earthed, is this definitely the case? There's no way I can be chuffed running a new wire. What's the worst that can happen? If I touch the lamp when live will it try to earth through me?

Forgive me if I'm being stupid, but I'm not the best of DIY'ers...

TIA

Dan

Reply to
getbent

Yes.

Then should you really be messing with electrics?

You could die.

Worse still, someone other than you could die.

Reply to
Grunff

Ok, thanks.

I'm not 'messing with electrics', I was replacing exterior lights. Pretty much like-for-like. The problem is, I think the wire goes from outside into the wall, and somehow into the void between the ceiling of a downstairs bathroom and under the floor of an upstairs room. It will be a pain to replace the wire.

Ok. The light is on the same 'ring' as another light I think (when I switch one ring off on the consumer unit, both wires are dead. If I just tape up the wire and stuff it into the hole in the wall, am I looking for trouble?

Thanks

Dan

Reply to
getbent

I agree with all that... *but*...

Your other option is to find a plastic framed double insulated light - that wouldn't need an earth.

Remember too that the earth doesn't have to be in the same bit of T+E as the supply. You can run a single earth from the nearest point you can get at. As long as the light chassis is earthed it won't care where it comes from.

Reply to
PC Paul

Hmm ok, that's a thought.

Right ok, I never thought of that. So, if I can find some other earth nearby I can just attach to that. Of course I can.

Thanks Paul

Reply to
getbent

Ok Grunff, thanks for your replies. I think I'm going to try and find another earth nearby.

Dan

Reply to
getbent

Yes, really not a good idea.

You have 2 options:

  1. Run a new earth.
  2. Replace the light with a double insulated plastic one that does not require earthing.
Reply to
Grunff

  1. Insert a RCD into the circuit before the light?
Reply to
Ian Stirling

Hmm as a basically competent but not up to date leccy, is it allowed and/or safe to get the earth for this from a nearby water pipe (after checking continuity of course)?

Gut feeling says it would work as an earth but be against all the regs.

Reply to
PC Paul

Not an acceptable alternative.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Hmm, sounds a bit dodgy (but what do I know).

Gut(ter) feeling? :)

Reply to
getbent

Don't forget that you'll have to inform the building control officer with a view to inspection....

:-(

Reply to
Frank Erskine

AKA, the missus? ;)

Reply to
getbent

No, the less scary one at the council ;-)

Reply to
PC Paul

*shudder*
Reply to
getbent

Remember that if you do decide to replace the wire, then there is no requirement that the new wire follows the same route as the old one. If there is a much simpler routing for it then you are free to use it. In this case you ought to find where the feed to the other wire is and disconnect it (you can leave the now disconnected wire itself in place if you want). The feed will typically be at the CU itself, or more likely at the nearest accessible light fitting on the same circuit.

Reply to
John Rumm

Whoa! Doesn't a re-route invoke Part Pee?

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

It has to be another electical earth though really... Not a copper pipe or some bonded metal work. Another thought is that if you really want to run an earth why don't you just run another piece of T+E (use the old cable to pull it through)? I only ask because if the earth wire was in bad condition then the live and neutral could be in similar conditions (I guess they could have been exposed to outside moisture) and in that case you would really need a good earth if not to reduce the risk of you burning your house down.

Reply to
Aaron

A simple replacement involves Part P, since it's an exterior light.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

-=D@n=- wrote: >

What do you mean, "some other earth" - from what you've said earlier I have visions of this installation becoming much less safe rather than more so.

Do yourself a favour and buy a double-insulated, non-earthed light fitting as others have recommended - there are loads of them around.

David

Reply to
Lobster