Earthing Appliances

Do all metal cased appliances need to have the earth connection on the terminal strip earthed to the metal casing?

thnx

Reply to
timegoesby

They need to be earthed - not sure which "terminal strip" you are refering to though.

Reply to
John Rumm

A metal cased appliance can still be double insulated. However, in that case I wouldn't expect provision for an earth terminal. So if it has an earth terminal, I think I would expect it to be connected to a metal case.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Some items of Class 2 fixed equipment do have an isolated parking terminal for the CPC of the supplying circuit though.

If it's Class 2 the double-square symbol will be present somewhere to indicate that the case should not be earthed.

Reply to
Andy Wade

I am fixing a small wall fixed metal cabinet with some relays and a timer inside. There will be a permanent live inside. Do I have to earth the metal cabinet to the earth terminal on the terminal strip?

Reply to
timegoesby

The chances of this being double insulated are near zero, so yes. However, this sounds a rather technical exercise for such a basic question?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, unless it is double insulated.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks

Reply to
timegoesby

One point. I noticed that appliances that have plugs are CE rated, yet I don't seem to see that on appliances that are to be fixed and have a fused spur. Did I see it wrong or is that the case? CE for portable appliances for the general public to use, and it need not be CE if fixed with a fuse spur?

Reply to
timegoesby

Dave, can't you recognise its Dribble who's posting?

Reply to
Matt

Dribble wouldn't know what a relay was?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Something tells me you and Dave Plowman are one and the same.

Reply to
timegoesby

Only Dribble could come out with something ridiculous like that.

Wrong end of the country anyway Dribble, last time I was south of Watford Gap was over 6 months ago. Where I am is high enough above sea level and far enough away so its totally safe from your plumbing antics both water and gas.

So stop trying to be Poirot and get back to that counter Drivel, I need you to sell some more copper tanks to make me even richer.

Reply to
Matt

Re-*plonk* DIMM

Reply to