Earth wire picture

Lifted some floorboards upstairs today and found this piece of (original) 1969 new house wiring (to downstairs light switches) - note the green wires:-

about 400kb)

and I think twice about adding a junction box...

Geo

Reply to
Geo

The message from Geo contains these words:

So should this bunch...

Guy King

Chill out! I've seen much worse. At least you seem to have a good solid electrical connection there.

Reply to
rrh

In article , rrh writes

My thoughts exactly, my current fave is lead sheathed cable with barely tightened earth continuity clamps or a bit of stranded wire loosely twisted round the sheath for continuity.

or installing a few computers in a mate's new office and getting a few tingles off the cases, no earth, sorry not true, bit of loosely twisted tinned stranded wire round a bit of rusty conduit at the incomer to the office as the earth.

Reply to
fred

Seems fine for the time to me. Earth wires were not even required for ceiling lights in the 60's. Often seen wall lights of the time fitted with L & N from lighting circuit and a single earth wire from the nearest socket

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Seems strange they didn't use TW&E which was available in those days, especially on a new build where you'd expect it to be bought in rather than from stock - indeed many just cut off the earth wire for lighting installations before it became mandatory.

A well twisted connection using solid core can be quite reliable - it's how telephone cable was jointed for years.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah, the PO splice!

Dave