Earth to light fittings

Is it now a requirement that wiring to light fittings includes an earth? I have seen lots of lighting circuit cable that is just live and neutral.

If it is now a requirement any idea when it became such?

James

Reply to
James Harris

It became a requirement to earth lighting circuits in 1966.

Reply to
ARW

Yes, for new wiring.

If you don't have earthed lighting wiring, make sure you only use double insulated light fittings which don't require an earth, and plastic light switches.

You should also put rewiring the lighting circuit onto your to-do list.

Mid 1960's, I think.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yes, and 1966 ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

While you should put it down as needing an earth adding when you're next fettling with it, and should be noted in any installation test documentation, most light fittings are safe due to out-of-reach. In other words, they are too far away for a standard human to be able to touch them while live in normal use.

jgh

Reply to
jgh

I was going to say, all my ceiling roses have earths, though they seem to stop there as in most cases there is nothing further to earth!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It was certainly so in 75 when I had this house done. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff