"Earth" floating at 80-120V ... why?

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Yes. What were his power bills like?

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Strange you should ask that. I'm not sure if it was for that period but he did have one about then that was literally about 3X normal. He had just invested in some new lighting in the greenhouse though. The sort seen in cannabis factories. After he got the bill he stopped using the lighting!

I don't think his leakage problem went on long enough to make a major impact on the bill so it probably was the lighting.

Reply to
Bill

Is your dad an old hippie, by any chance?

Reply to
Gib Bogle

After meeting her I bet she does.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

:-)

Did get me thinking though when he showed me what he was doing, actually he hybridises fuchsias. A 45' greenhouse that can only be seen if you are on the property and not many visitors. MMMmmmm No best not........

Reply to
Bill

I've seen early 60's wiring with metal backboxes for the light switches and no earth, the wiring being double insulated either in singles or zip connected doubles.

Makes things interesting when you contact a switchplate fixing screw with a finger and the backbox has been made live from a missed stray conductor (stranded not solid conductors)

Reply to
Mike