Earth Bonding Question

With regard to the other thread about earth bonding services such as water/gas etc, idle curiosity question.

Is there any requirement to uprate the earthing where it used to comply, but wouldn't comply with current regulations?

I am going to uprate from 6mm to 10mm anyway, but I was just wondering if there is suddenly a "you must uprate this" clause someplace. The gas fitter poking around the gas meter at the wire seemed to think so.

The original work was done in the 1950s, the earth bond replaced in the 70s with green 6.0mm (probably replacing a stranded bare imperial cable).

I know uprating is a Dang Good Idea(tm) but is it actually legally required?

TIA, Chip

Reply to
Chip

There is no specific requirement that applies to upgrading the earthing. However, because it's common to the whole installation, any new installation or repair that needs to be to current Regulations will probably trigger a requirement to update the earthing, simply so the new stuff is compliant.

The gas fitter might want your earthing uprated to comply with gas regulations.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 18:01:31 +0100,it is alleged that Owain spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

Sounds reasonable, this was after replacing the boiler with a newer and more expensive, err efficient model which involved a relocation of the FCU for the relocated boiler.

Again, sounds resonable, I was unaware that the gas regulations could specify electrical requirements, but on second thought, some overlap is inevitable and the 'highest' standard would win out.

Thanks for the fast response:-)

Reply to
Chip