E27 Plug?

'morning.

I have a couple of these:

light up my patio real nice.

However, with the way things are, there is one socket into which I don't want to fit a bulb (for complicated reasons). As a short-term measure I've, er, taped over the socket but this needs a better solution.

I guess what I need is the plug part of an E27 bulb to act as a filler for the socket, but I'm clueless as to what this might be called.

My internet searches have proved worthless and so I turn here. Is there some device which I can screw into an E27 socket which will render the installation safe?

Thanks & regards

Reply to
Devany

Can you (or someone else if you don't feel up to it) not remove one of the lampholders, then make good the joint with some heatshrink tubing?

I wouldn't be surprised if the lampholders had a type of insulation displacement connector, so the joint would be quite inconspicuous, or for a slightly more conspicuous way, replace the non-required lampholder with a weatherproof connector

permanent, or a 2 or 3 core unpluggable one, as required (connect the male/female parts the right way round).

Reply to
Andy Burns

Excuse me stating the obvious, but why not use a failed ES lamp in this position, or seal the socket with self amalgamating tape?

Incidentally I don't hold with this B22 / E27 nonsense, I call a spade a spade. I asked for a pair of U2 batteries recently, the guy hadn't a clue!

Reply to
Graham.

dead bulb. Dont try the heatshrink idea.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I don't think you can buy ES plugs as such, but you cold buy an ES to BC adapter, e.g.

on Ebay, though)

and fill the BC hole with a scrap of wood (or anything insulating and inert) then top off with epoxy resin (or polyester resin or car body filler or potting compound or epoxy glue or hot-melt glue)

Reply to
Dave Osborne

A US 2-pin to edison screw travel adaptor might do (I've got one but can't find one on google yet), or similar for adapting use of halogen bulbs to that socket. Easier to apply the tape over that? Could you you can cut the offending socket out?

Reply to
Adrian C

My first though, then I wondered if a lamp won't physically fit into one particular location rather than the O/P just not wanting the illumination at that point.

The lampset is only IP44 rated, at least some of the the adhesive lined shrink tube is also IP44 rated.

Reply to
Andy Burns

'Plugs' to fit light sockets have not been available in the UK for many a year for obvious reasons - there is no EEC for a start.

You used to be able to buy ES to 2 pin adaptors which would be safer than an open socket - try Ebay for travel adaptors.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The technique itself may be sound. The skill-set of the OP to apply it safely may not be. I think that was the point.

Reply to
Graham.

Which was why I suggested getting someone else to do it of the O/P didn't feel up to it.

Reply to
Andy Burns

The original light set is rain proof, and needs to be. Heatshrink sleeve is definitely not. Adhesive lined heatshrink might be if properly applied... I still wouldnt recommend it though. No sense doing something dodgy when its easy to do it right.

Another point is that such lights generally need a bulb in them to ensure they point downwards. An ES plug might or might not do this.

If there were no space for a lamp, the socket could be filled with epoxy resin.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Graham." saying something like:

Probably thought you were talking about Bono-wanker and co. Even the humble PP3 has been eclipsed by some other term.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)" saying something like:

Coat!

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Seems to have come back into fashion after the MN 1604 period.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Another point which I found out in 20 years of looking after some sets of these lights is that they need the heat from the bulb to remain dry too. Leave a dead bulb in too long out in the rain, and eventually that lampholder will become damp and start arcing across.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks for all the ideas.

Gives me a lot to go on.

Reply to
Devany

It's alright, most of them don't understand D-cell either! Don't even think of asking for SP11s.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker